1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting Canada with a Firearm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Visiting Canada with a Firearm

I updated the page I have posted on the topic and passing along a few points of interest, especially for those who have never shot in Canada before but are thinking of attending a shoot in the upcoming year.

- The big change for those thinking of visiting Canada, is you now need a Passport or Enhanced Drivers license when re-returning to the USA. The Enhanced Drivers license cannot be used if flying.

- Prior to entering Canada, a signed U.S. Customs Form 4457 listing your firearms needs to be completed and signed (available for download). If you wish, you can process this form prior to your crossing date. If you had not processed the form previously, it's only a quick stop on the day of crossing at US Customs. The form only has to be done one time. You show this form to US customs when returning to the states. If you have expensive jewelry, camera, or computer you may want to also list them on the form.

- You can process your CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration at the Canadian border the day of crossing (available for download). The declaration cost $25 Canadian and is good for 60 days.

- You may import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

- Handguns will not be allowed! There are procedures for bringing a handgun into Canada, but very limited reasons and must be pre-approved.

- If you have a DUI they may not allow you into Canada, even if the DUI is from ten years ago. The US and Canada in recent years have increased the sharing of such information and if the Canadians run your name the information may pop up. There is a procedure you can go through to have this DUI removed so you can visit Canada, but may take a few months.

- Cross the border with a full gas tank.

Appropriate links for downloading the various forms is provided on the posted page.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

We went up to fish a year and a half ago. Two of the guys with us had DUIs from years back. We were held up for almost two hours while they "sweated" the boys and finally let them in after having them buy a "temporary" permit for $250 each, non refundable.

Great neighbors, eh?

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

My one experience. About three years ago. I rode a motorcycle from Mt. into Canada. Getting into Canada was easy. Coming back into the states (Mt. again) was like being interogated for some unknown crime by the U.S. border patrol. Take your coat off, take your boots off, search my saddle bags. Where were your born? What was your purpose in Canada? Answer; "Thought it would be a nice ride". Wrong answer. Further interogation. Go sit on the curb for 15 minutes while we stare at you and act like we're talking about you. Hey, I was 52 yrs old at the time. I'm sure the computer read out came back clean as a whistle. Next time I'll tell them I'm a Muslim first. They'll probably gas up the bike and give me milk and cookies. Jim

4. Joe Potosky

Heard such stories in the past. I knew one person that was not allowed entry to attend a shoot. Turned out he had a past drug conviction for selling...

Saying that...

Did not see any negative postings from those who attended the Canadian Trap Championships or other shoots.

Three of us are traveling to Quebec in the AM to attend a fun shoot and don't anticipate any problems at the border.

5. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Joe,

At the 2008 Canadian we successfully attracted shooters from a record number of States, including AZ, WI, TN, IN, OH, PA, CT, NJ, NY, MI and FL.
    Every one of them got in with their shotguns and ammo - and without the slightest hassle - including the one shooter who had presquadded but let us know he may not make it over the line due to a 7 yr. old DUI.

He travelled by air from his home State to Buffalo, NY and then crossed the border by car - without a problem. (And returned home with several pieces of new hardware for his trophy collection!)

Joe, thanks for your valuable, on-going assistance in keeping our community on both sides of the border up-to-date and informed of each other's various gun laws.

regards,
    b.

6. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Joe, Were going up to Hamilton in Jan. for there shell shoot. In past years we have each filled out the form for the guns. Someone told us we can put all the guns on one form and save the $25 fee for the other 3 by having them all on the same form. Do you know if this is fact or fiction.

We tryed Friday nite to call customs(the number on the form) but got no answer, any help would be welcome.. Bernie K

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Hey Bernie...See you guys at Hamilton, we will be the ones with the freshly opened can of WHOOP-ASS....

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A friend of mine and I are thinking about passing through Canada on our way to a shoot in Detroit MI (starting in buffalo NY). We can save an hour and a half (129 miles) each way by going through canada vs going the long way around through cleveland.

Do you think it'd be worthwhile to go through canada? I'm 24, and my friend is 20, completely clean history for both of us. Any problems here, age wise? I have the enhanced DL, and I believe my friend has a passport (even if not, he'd get an enhanced DL if we decided to do this). Also, could we put both our guns (one gun each) one one permit, or would be better of getting a permit for each of us (we both have Kolars if that makes a difference, customs wise).

Any help appreciated. The savings on gas is about a wash after we buy the permit, but the time saving would definitely make it worthwhile i think.

9. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Two Dogs, I'll tell Chris Vendel and we can always have a little side bet for a good Canadian beer. Well be looking for you. Just look for us picking up our shells. LOL Bernie

10. Two Dogs

Bernie, Tell Chris i'll have my usual supply of Crown.

11. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Your on. You must be related to Ostrander. Crown Royal, right.

12. Two Dogs

Where do you think Gerry gets all of the Crown Royal hats etc.etc.?

13. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Bernie, the law is $25.00 PER receiver. I have had some visitors get lucky with a nice agent, who has let them bring in more than one gun (per person) for just $25.00. (per person).

Ian, due to tighter regulations at the border, they may not buy the story of 'just passing through'. Why not get an invite from a local club here to stop in and shoot on your way to Michigan - there are many on that trail. Whether you do stop and shoot (or not) is irrelevant, but it might bring "comfort and joy" to the Agent questioning you.

If you need an invite like this, let me know. Happy to help a fellow kolar-ite!

cheers,
    Barbara Sheldon

14. Joe Potosky

One person can bring in several firearms (shotgun/rifle), but they cannot bring in firearms for others.

It all depends on the agent you deal with if you want to bring in a firearm for you buddy or wife who is riding with you on one permit. Some let it go and others not.

I did hear one story (second hand) that a husband put all the firearms under his name, but it was obvious that the wife was also shooting. She ended up having to purchase her own temporary license. Remember, when they check your firearm serial number they are coming out to your vehicle and in most cases will see the shooting gear, for all shooters.

---------

As for taking a shortcut through Canada to go from one state to another.

Your are allowed to PASS through. Not a problem.

Depends what your time is worth as you have to pay the $25 fee.

15. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Things must have changed since my last trip into Canada in 2008. I was allowed to have my application full (3 receivers) for the $25.00 fee. I have done this for the past 4 years of shooting in Canada. Never any question.

I have found the Canadian customs to be a great bunch to deal with when going over. Most just want to see the guns and ask a lot of questions about them, and trap shooting.... The American Customs on the other hand can be a handfull. We even had one tell us that because we didn't have a AT-6 (?) form we couldn't get our guns back into the states AND he was going to confiscate them...I got up on my haunches and told him he was full of SH**, I had the 4457 form and that was all I needed. Well he got his supervisor, explained the situation to him (real cocky), and the supervisor made him appologize to us..(he didn't know his law)...One for the gun owner !!!

Two Dogs ("Crown Man", as you are called by a certain lady from New Jersey that you met at the 20008 nationals) Good to see you got that "Fighting Spirit" back. You know that the Vendel "kids" (Chris and Christopher) along with Bernie K., can cook up their own case of whoop-a**, so watch out...LOL

Have fun shooting in the snow fellows, I'll have my shorts on and getting a tan that day, down here in the south..ha ha

I personally can't thank Joe Potosky enough for all his valuable information on this subject...

Dave in SC

16. twopipe

twopipe Member

read the facts here

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

17. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

You've hit the nail on the head, Dave. It truly is a matter of 'who' you get as an Agent (on either side of the border). From experience i can tell you there is no consistency in training or knowledge from Agent to Agent.

Shooters/hunters best be prepared and as knowledgeable as possible to 'assist' (and without attitude helps!) the Agents.

b.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

After hearing, reading and seeing co-workers subjected to this nonsense I can never dream of bothering to go to Canada to spend my "sportsmans' money... Eh!?
    Nor do I expect Canadians to subject themselves to this foolishness coming south. Sad that the two governments that are so close together are so far apart!

19. JRW

JRW Member

Is it possible to get guns pre registered in MI. The crossing at Port Huron into Sarnia for the 2008 nationals was a nightmare for me. 2 hrs on American side to get 2 shotguns registered. No legal problems in my past. Jerry in MI.

20. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Have you ever noticed that when they don't know the law (often) they never err in our favor.Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.