1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

vision question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k80 hopeful, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

I have been struggling with trap for a couple of years or so and think that a lot of my problems are related to vision. I have had my gun fitted professionally so do not feel that is the issue. Do wear corrective lenese but seem to be late at picking up the bird and then seem to move to quickly, jab at them etc. Any suggestions or any eye exercises any of you can offer will be gratefully accepted. Thanks Jean

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Can you descibe your shooting glasses for us. Perscription, lens color, type of frames, etc. HMB

3. k80 hopeful

k80 hopeful TS Member

Shooting glasses are rangers, prescription lenses, non biocial and usually color is target orange. ALso I am left handed and left eye dominant. Jean

4. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I have a question. I noticed this on my glasses. Do your glasses distort the image if you look throught them anywhere but in the middle of the lens?

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Jean- based on your name spelling I wonder if you are a female shooter. If so and you are shooting with both eyes open (and no tape/dot) you need to check to see if you are having any problems with cross-firing. Most lady shooters do have a problem with eye dominance and will need to either use tape or dot over the left eye. The quick/easy way to test if simply close the off eye- hold the gun on the roof of the house and shoot some targets "purely one-eyed". This will let you know quickly if this is part of your problem. Phil

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

K80,

I am an optometrist and will help, if I can. If you have had a good eye exam and your visual acuities are 20/20 (or better) with no visual field loss (peripheral loss)then I would tend to think it's not your eyes, and that your problems are more related to gun placement. If you are holding high, I would suggest that you move the gun just below the front edge of the trap house, out of your way. That will give you a better overall view of the bird coming out. Second slow down a bit. You've got more time than you think. Find the bird and practice following it's path, don't try to intercept it or point shoot it. If you are looking at the end of your barrel, stop. Maybe others will suggest hold points and look points for you.

If you can, try to keep both eyes open, that will help picking up the bird faster. Notice if you are closing or squinting your right eye without thinking that you are. The only other major thing I can think of is difficulty pulling the bird out of the background where you shoot. You may need to play with colors to help there.

If you haven't had a good exam lately, start there and ask your doctor to check your peripheral vision. Also ask your doctor if your vision can be corrected to better than 20/20. Occasionally eyedocs or the techs stop at 20/20. I don't typically but a few do for various reasons. Good luck.

all the best,
    john

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you are trying to "shoot the streak." I.e., you are shooting at the target before it's resolved itself into a solid object. Your mind sees the streak and thinks "that's moving fast, I better hurry." If you move your "eye hold" point farther out from the trap house to where you see the target as a solid object I think you'll have better success. Your "gun hold" point can be down on the house if you want, but your "eye hold" needs to be out near where you'll start to see a solid target.

8. welderman

welderman TS Member

Just a couple of suggestions. From any station, there is a limited angle from which the target can emerge. Concentrate your vision on that area of the field. Don't waste visual and computing power on places where the bird can't possibly be. The second hint is to practice focussing your vision on a spot in space about 10 yards in front of the house. We normally train our eyes to focus on an object, so the concept of focussing on a place where no object exists is foreign to most brains, but it can be done. It will help you to see the bird a fraction of a second sooner. The sooner you see the bird, the more time you give your natural abilities a chance to prove themselves. Tom S. (welderman)

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Is it possible in the move to the bird once you see it, you may be pulling or pushing the forearm hand thinking the bird is getting away from you?

"Do wear corrective lenese but seem to be late at picking up the bird and then seem to move to quickly, jab at them etc."

If you think you're shooting too quickly or jabbing at the targets, sounds like a bad arm move rather than a vision problem.

Phil and his video cam along with his advice would get you on the right track quicker than anything you'll hear or see written here! Good luck! Hap

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jean, I agree with Hap's last statement. Check for cross-firing problem first.If that is your problem, all other things tried may be futile. JMO---Steve

11. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Ah yes, and then there`s the "quiet eye" Whereever you focus above the gun hold or traphose roof; hold that focus for a second and a half or two. You will be surprised at how hard it is at first; your eyes may want to flit back and forth. After a while your eyes, actually your brain, will slow down and concentrate on the target. Lock on and break it. I like the idea of lock on straight from post three; but shoot from the 20 yd line. hold your gun off to the left a foot. If the field is flat I suggest you look out at the 50 yd stake, at the base. Anything you try will have to have a good trial to break any bad habits. Kay O claims to shoot 300 straights and then commences to "practice". Keep in contact with Phil KIner, he helped me the most with my shooting. And get his DVD!! Watch the slow motion shots of his students, I finally picked up on letting the target get above the barrel and let the bird "suck" the barrel to it. Also, make sure you have a level of strength, lift some lite wts, doesn`t have to be over twenty pounds. That will help with repeatablity. Repetition makes the Master; Perfect Practice Makes Perfect. Now send me $9.95 plus s&h for all this great info!!!!!

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ben Hogan was once asked "what is the best way to be a a great golfer." His reply, "hit a million pratice golf balls." Your brain will figure it out sooner or later if you shoot enough birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.