1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vision question for Phil Kiner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Phil,

My mom went blind in one eye after an operation to correct the 'jitters'. I know, it's bad and we're taking good care of her, but one thing she complains about is how bright the snow is on her good eye. She has all the shades pulled in the house which she never used to do with two eyes.

My question is this: when you put a gun up in front of your good eye, aren't you asking for trouble (help) from the off eye? Seems to me the visual system is very adjustable/forgiving and wants you to see so you can survive visually. It just so happens this is counter to what's needed in trap shooting.

My mom says the doctor told her the good eye is going to be way more sensitive now that that's all she has.

When I shot with a scope, the center of the scope was high enough above the barrel so as to allow for a clear view down to the house. I never had off eye problems until switching to a ribbed gun and holding even. Now I hold my gun on top of the house and look just over that area for the target. Seems to work well enough now as I'm shooting pretty well for the little ATA I'm able to scrape together on my busy family schedule.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. joe kuhn

Phil,

By the way, she's right handed and lost the vision in her right eye. She's driving again finally and seems to be adjusting quite well. I tried driving the other day by closing my dominant right eye and could only do it for a minute or so without feeling uncomfortable. I had to move my head alot more to see the mirrors and truely appreciate my 'double' vision.

My tendancy is to want to move that gun up into my field of view in order to get a head start on the movement of the gun to the target, but now I know better; it's a call to action for my less dominant left eye and that is something to steer clear of when driving to the target. Hah!

Regards, Joe

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Joe, your theory has a familiar ring to it? :)

Hap

4. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Joe- I am not sure of what your question is-pk

5. joe kuhn

Hap - Yeah, thanks to you, my friend.

pk - Does a low gun hold help you avoid the non-dominant cross over issue? This seems to be the case, for myself, at least.

Joe

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Since everyone is different cannot give a blanket answer

but sometimes it does seem that when someone looks under/thru their barrel it can make cross-firing worse

also might help to shade your gun hold point more to the left more than normal keeping the target to the right side STARTING OUT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.