1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vision on bird correct

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KelleyPLK, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Hello all , I have a question about looking at the target , I put my face on stock and follow target with my eye's. without beading the bird . I have been told by some you must also bead the target along with looking and pointing your gun . Both >I havent found anyone except short yardage shooter who try and rifle shoot targets . Maybe Im missing something here ?

Pat Kelley

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Probably the target. If your gun shoots where you look due to proper fit, consistant mount and maintained swing geometry, you don't need to see anything but the target. This is how those of us who don't have beads on our guns shoot.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Pat,

You seem to be referring to what is known as a "sight picture". It describes the front bead or barrel's position relative to the target during swings. It differs to aiming in that the eye behind the rib is focused on the target. The bead or barrel is out of focus during swings and is seen only in the peripheral vision.

JBrooks mentioned the requirements necessary to "shoot where you look". This describes the pattern's going where you expect it to go with a given sight picture. Mount and gun fit are required to keep your eye in the same position relative to the rib during swings until the gun is fired. Proper fit and consistent mounts are necessary to make this happen each time you shoot.

Swing geometry comes into play because the end of the barrel must be traveling in a direction or swung in a way that will cause it to be pointing in a direction that will allow the pattern to hit the target when the shot eventually arrives at the target, given the delay between the decision to fire and the shot exiting the barrel.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.