1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vision "Floaters" & Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Recently, "floaters" - distracting bubbles (in fact, clusters of bubbles) floating around in my right eye (only) have become very noticeable and distracting. Obviously, if your vision focuses on the floaters and not a target, you will likely miss the target. I have an appointment with my opthamologist next Tuesday. I believe I have read on TS.com that nothing (or likely very little) can be done about this...just live with it. Anyone have any input or recommendations in what to ask the eye doc? Comments appreciated. I have been told that they can surgically drain the fluid from your eye and, after it is replaced, the condition can be eliminated or improved...sounds doubtful to me that such risky procedure is available. Best Regards, Ed

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Vision

High sperm count.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Vision

mrskeet410, never thought of that! :eek:) Ed

4. philk

philk Member

Vision

Some can be blasted with lasers, goggle it.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Vision

A good friend had that very risky surgery done and he suffered terrible consequences and had to resort to switching to shooting left handed because the vision in his right eye was so bad. I found out that I have a lot of floaters when I put the magic dot patch on my left lens and had to wait for the floaters to settle in my right eye before calling for the target. I hate holding up the squad; being a Senior Vet is not for sissies.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Vision

Ed,I'm glad you brought this up as I have been plagued with this problem lately as well. I don't wear glasses so that's a plus but lately I feel like I'm looking through a cloud or moving spots. It certainly doesn't help my already pitiful shooting. LOL Jackie B.

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Vision

I feel you pain. My floaters have gotten so bad that it is like looking through a snow globe. If I move my eyes quickly they even swirl.

The procedure to replace the vitreous is called a vitrectomy. It is not an elective procedure. Unless there has been a traumatic injury or the floaters are severely interfering with vision it is nearly impossible to find a reputable surgeon who will do the procedure. Over 50% of people who have a vitrectomy develop cataracts with in a few years.

I have a friend who is blind in his left eye and he developed severe floaters in his right eye. He had a vitrectomy because he was having long moments when he couldn't see to drive. The doctor told him that he would not have done the surgery if he had vision in his left eye.

There are some doctors out there who claim to be able to fix floaters with lasers, but the eye doctors I have talked to say they are quacks preying on the desperate.

Michael Goines

8. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Vision

Oldgoat,

Floaters are usually natural in the aging eye. They are normally caused by the inner part of the eye, called the vitreous, shrinking and breaking apart. Anytime you notice an increase in floaters you should immediately cosult you eye doctor. They could indicate a more serious condition, like bleeding in the eye. After the doctor determines what has caused them steps can be taken, but the options in this country are very limited. Most floaters that people see are very close to the retina and are very small. The only way to eliminate them is too perform a Vitrectomy. Most doctors in this country will not perform a vitrectomy unless absolutely necessary. Even though the procedure has come a long way and is less intrusive and less risky. The use of the smaller guage needles accompanied by intricate cutting instruments has greatly improved this surgery. The was a comment about most people who have the surgery get cataracts after a few years. This is true, but more research is being done to prevent this also.

There are types of floaters that can be treated by lasers. Mostly ones caused by posterior vitreous detachment, sometimes called Weiss's rings. But the position of the floater has to be in manner that puts it far enough away from the retina as not to cause damage. I do know that most doctors do not see them as a medical problem, even though they can be very debilitating. I hope the best for you!

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Vision

I had a friend that had problems with floaters. He would turn his eyes away from his point of aim to trick the floaters then aim,call and shoot.......SMOKIT

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Vision

I had a friend that had problems with floaters. He would turn his eyes away from his point of aim to trick the floaters then aim,call and shoot.......SMOKIT

11. The Stive

The Stive Member

Vision

I have floaters in both eyes. I notice them more with rapid eye movements.They
    do not seem to bother me otherwise. I can still shoot and enjoy it. John

12. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Vision

I was at the SC nationals late Oct. and thought I had a spider on my glasses and could not get rid of him. Then someone told me what floaters were and I had them that quick.
    I was going in for cataract surgery the next week and thought that would cure the problem WRONG. The Dr. said that to his knowledge their was no 100% cure and that the surgery was very risky. Then he told me that cataract surgery can cause them in the other eye. Luckily it didn't but they are still in my right eye and they are there forever I guess.

13. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Vision

Bob Roberts here in Texas had the operation and spoke favorably about it at the time. I have not heard from him lately. Ron

14. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Vision

I have had "floaters" for several years now. My Doctor told me that I have "posterior detached vitreous" but not to be too concerned unless they get worse.

I have learned to live with the floaters and when I do notice them, I just "look up" a few times and that seems to move the floaters a bit where I don't notice them so much.

Good luck!

Allen

15. maka

maka Member

Vision

Try taking some lutien daily. Wife had similar problem with detached retina. Eye Dr. suggested this after her visit. I buy it at Wally World' (generic). Baush % LooM is in the same area. Good Luck!

16. Model12

Model12 Member

Vision

Now 74 and bothered by floaters for years. I've been taking Ocuvite for the past 10 years and they have all but dissapeared. No, I don't have stock in the company. Bob Gegerson

17. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Vision

I had 4 eye surgeries this past summer for cataracts. I told the doc about my floater in my left eye and he said there no safe cure for them currently. Interesting note is said that years ago people were put in the nut house for trying to swat flys away from there eyes. LoL!

Todd

18. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Vision

To mrskeet410,

Re your interesting comment speculating that these "floaters" could really be just a simple high sperm count...it seems that the person could tell the difference as the little "spermies" would be swimming around (swinging their little tails around) looking for a way back to their home area to take care of business, whereas if it were just a real floater in your eye, they would be doing just that...floating around with no tail action. Would you have any comments on this theory??

Regards,

Larry

19. JES

JES Member

Vision

To Miketx explain what is happening and the squad will understand, as we age things happen!!!

20. warren

warren Member

Vision

Sounds simaler to what I have which they call an Occlusion where the blood viens leak fluid in your eye and cause distortion, swelling and lack of ability to focus. I have had three shots of Avastin in my right eye for it and I'm happy to say it's almost completly cleared it up. This is serious stuff by all means go to a speciallist. There is hope, my eye started getting better almost imediatly after the first shot and I even won an event since the treatment. Good luck.

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.