1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

vision and head lift

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

For the last few weeks, I scores have been lower than my average. While practicing today, I noticed why. I was coming out of the just the smallest amount. Face was still in contact with the comb, just not firm contact. When I stay in the gun, my vision in focused and the birds look big. When I come out of the gun, even a little, my field of view opens up and the birds look small. After realizing what was happening, I shot 23, 25, 23, 25. I never believed I was coming out because my cheek was still in contact with the comb. FIRM contact is needed. Stay even after the bird breaks.

Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.
    Dave

2. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

In my opinion, lifting your head is always inviting a miss. The opposite is also true. Sometimes, "in the heat of the battle", I would find myself crawling into the stock, and instead of the usual little space I normally see between the beads, they would be blending together.

I mostly shoot handicap targets, and when I see this happening, I'll say to myself, "relax, look at the target"..., I stay in good contact with the stock, but rotate, and move my head back a tiny bit on the stock, so I'm looking through the centers of my Decots, rather than through the top third. The beads have that space, and the hits are good.

I used to think: "grind into the stock and hold it there", and would adjust my comb to do that. I finally figured out that doing that just took too much effort. A good way to commit any set up, and swing to "muscle memory" is a little time each day with a "Terry Jordan" wall chart. Thank you Terry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.