1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VISCOMETER??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Any viscometer experts on here?
    I was watching the tv show "how its made" and have seen this device 2-3 times at different factories, the last I think was in a paint, or crayon factory. The test batch guy would take a sample of the mixture,put a glob on a metal scale and wipe a straight edge across it, then he would measure how far down the scale the mixture went.. If it went the correct length the batch was ok to run and he passed the sample.. Do any of you know what this type of measuring device is called? I searched viscometer and all I came up with is digital ones that spin. thanks!

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Could be a custom test device - something the company knows works for their intended use .. but is not an industry standard test method/apparatus. Just sayin ..

3. racer

racer TS Member

If you search for viscosity measuring, you will get a ton of returns. Most are based on time through a calibrated hole. Very think liquids go with a form of gravity drop on a scale. What you saw was probably created to measure a specific product- doesn't matter what the number is just comparing batch to batch. Dan

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

That device is not used to measure viscosity ... it is a fineness gauge!

It is used to check on how well the pigment and filler are dispersed. Any clumps will show up as a streak.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I remember using one in an oil refinery that was a rod of glass cut at an angle. After cleaning it and latching it closed, you put a drop of oil in the hole on top and looked at the end like a telescope. There were lines in the window and you recorded the number where the drip ended. I really do not remember if the number was a direct reading or needed to be plugged into an equation. Sorry I could not be of more help.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Black Cloud they are called viscometers, at least the ones I've used in the past, are called Saybolt Universal Seconds Viscometers, they measure the dynamic, universal and kinematic viscosities of oil

I had a buddy that had one that checked the viscosity or paint he had mixed before he sprayed it, it was kinda neat, I would get one but no matter how good everything is I still suck at painting, and hate to do it

You might be able to find something it you type in Saybolt Seconds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.