1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Virus protection

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Who is the best bang for the buck. Have Avast installed on computer when I bought computer and it is expiring. Anyone better?

Thanks

2. mTm Herb

mTm Herb Member

I like ESET NOD32. It doesn't slow down my computer and they have a great reputation. Google em.

Herb

3. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Norton 360.

They update as soon as a problem is detected.

Had good service.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try Microsoft's own Security Essentials.

It is FREE, unlike most others it does not place a large load on the processor - it works very 'quietly' in the background.

The 'good' and the 'not so good' changes often in this field. Where Norton';s and Macafee were the best, they are now resource hogs and will truly slow down your machine.

Another decent product is Avast - also free (as I recall they have free and for pay but rather than a 'light' and a 'full' version it is offered for free to individuals - businesses are asked to pay).

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

avast free version. Bill

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I also use ESET NOD32 .... which has been great for the many years I have used it. I have clicked a BAD LINK several times and ESET has put up the barrier to stop any problem and alerted me to the error of my ways. YES it has saved my butt several times. GREAT PROGRAM!!

7. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Avast free version, had it for years on several computers and not a single problem!

Cheers,

George

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second Microsoft Essentials. It is free and works very well. I also use Malwarebytes along with it. It is free also if you are willing to run it manually and I do. I have it on all three computers and have not had a virus since. Before that I had Norton and got bit twice

9. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

Best bang for the buck? I have a MAC mini never have problem with Apple. On the real cheap I have a Dell which I downloaded Ubuntu ( requested and got the disc from them for free) it is a Linux operating system. Hackers do not bother with them...

10. 100straight

100straight Member

I've been using AVG Free for the past 7 or 8 years. Never a problem, and it has caught every threat before my computer was infected.

Mark

11. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Both Century Link and Comcast provide a free Norton Internet Security Suite which is an anti-virus, anti-phishing, and a firewall program. Check your ISP's web page and see if they provide their customers a suite. It makes business sense for them to do that in order to keep a major vilar outbreak off their own servers. See link.

Don T. Littleton CO

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

stilltrying,

I too use Mac's BUT - they often get viruses as an add on - may not bother your machine, but if you send things to other people you might infect them.

That being said there are viruses that will hit a Mac as well - especially intel cored ones.

Look at either Avast or ClamXav as scanning software for your Mac - both are free. I give the nod to Avast - when it 'pulls' an infected file it pulls only the file - ClamXav pulled a whole folder once - nearly dumped an entire 'out box' for e-mail.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

For those of you using Avast free edition, I used that for years with good results but when I received an email offer for the paid version at a discount, I decided to give it a try. It is even better than the free version and I will continue to pay for it annually.

Ed

14. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

ESET is the best