1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

virus protection

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My experience is that you generaly get what you pay for--including antivirus SW.

Guy Babin

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Stay away from Nortons and Macafee - they tend to really use resources on the computer (i.e., make it run slower).

I have had great luck with MS Security Essentials, another good one is Avast - others here will pop in with other free virus/spam software - there is a lot of good, free stuff out there.

3. James344

James344 Active Member

I've used AVG Free on my computers for about 4 years. It works well, but it is only minimal covereage, e-mail protection and virus protection. They have a full coverage option for a charge, but I never use it. 30 day free trial of full covereage right now, and then switch back to free. AVG.com.

4. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Nod32 by Eset. Does not try to take over your computer, just keeps the virus's out!

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Look at AVG.com and www.malwarebytes.org/Anti-Malware. These are good. You can also run a free checkup with http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/index.html. Also use spybot search and destroy. Spybot can block known bad websites and stop redirection software from sending the computer to sites setup to download virus software to your computer. There are other stuff out there but this is the stuff i use to double check the office Trend Micro Ware that is automatically deployed to our computers.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I dropped all a few years back and use MS Security Essentials (free).

On windows 8 it's already included.

Have not had a problem in more years then I can remember.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Panda has been great for me .Loaded by my Computer repair company,three years ago. I also boldly go where I should not.LOL Jeff

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

Spend a few bucks and get Kaspersky. Never have problems - in past 5 years. Now running their Pure 1.

9. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I use AVG on my Samsung Galaxy III and I use Avira on my home computer. Both are very good, automatically update and are free.

10. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I use AVG and Mal-Ware Bites-that said, the best thing that I 've done is to stop using IE and started using Firefox. I haven't had any issues since then. My old slowing computer became much faster.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Used Avast but still some things got through...my new laptop came with a trial period of Norton and I was so happy with it I purchased on the internet and will stay with it

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

search kim komandos site. f secure use to be free. malwarebytes still is. go with what she recommends. btw, kim's the rush limbaugh of all things digital and has a nationwide radio call in talk show. check her out

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I used Mcafee for years but last year it got to where I could not do the updates. After 6 plus calls and 9 months I finally gave up. I then downloaded the free Microsoft Security Essentials and am running it now.

Years back I was using the free AVG and got infected. I identified two virus but found nothing that could remove them. That computer is still sitting on the floor beside my desk. Slow as a turtle. Ray

14. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have used Norton now for over 10 years with no problems.

Allen

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

"Nod32 by Eset. Does not try to take over your computer, just keeps the virus's out!"

YES! ESET is all I have been using for many years. It is the software that Microsoft Corp. uses!!! I buy the 3 computer package online for my household.

I am a retired computer electrical/hardware engineer.

16. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

+1 Microsoft security essentials, I combine it with a weekly scan with Malwarebytes(free) and have kept mostly safe. Even with the best software there is always a chance for being hit.

John MI

17. pfofml

pfofml Member

Keep away from sick people, especially hospitals and clinics. Wash your hands often. Keep your hands away from your eyes, as viruses have need away to enter the body.
    Peter

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Plus 2 on Microsoft Essentials.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Linux. Why bandaid for malware? Get a system that's immune in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.