1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Virus alert. On Winchester ammo site

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I get a "Virus Warning" from AVG when the Winchester Ammo newsletter comes into my Outlook. Obviously, I do not open it out of curiosity. And It may well be that the email advertisement that comes in is infected but their regular website is not. And these viruses bounce around and may not be there whn you open it. I prefer to not take that risk.

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

My AVG many times, sees unusual postings as virus' and asks if I want to play Russian roulette. I always say no, and delete whatever it is, trusting AVG implicitly. It's the job of the folks who send me terrific, once in a lifetime offers, to learn how to format their posts so my firewall, spam blockers and virus protectors will like it, otherwise they're never seen.

Good post, thanks for the head's up. .....mike

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Last year AVG was telling people that their USER32.DLL system file was infected and had them delete it. I had a lot of work coming in because of that. There was nothing wrong with the files. It was a mistake on AVG's part and it hosed the systems. If it were any other AV program, I'd be inclined to believe it, but AVG has cried wolf far too many times to have much credibility. They did the same with Adobe Flash around the same time. Google it and you'll see a bunch of errors. I would try a different AV program to verify it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.