1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

virginia trapshooting assn.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duckeye, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I cannot figure why the VTA has a web site The state shoot has been over almost two weeks and there still is nothing on the web site. The ATA site has nothing either Maybe they did not have a shoot after all.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe not.

But I'm sure you'll want to volunteer to be the site manager and recording secretary to ensure that all gets accomplished in a more timely manner.

Curt

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

It is on the ATA site at least for the individual shooters. I was just there. As for the VTA they just changed webmasters so how about cutting them a little slack unless of course you are volunteering to do it better and faster.

--- Chip King ---

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Well here is the scoop! The fellow that use to manage the site used to be a trapshooter and has moved on to spending his $$ on other things.

He manages the site out of the goodness of his heart and that is about it! As far as the new webmaster that is news to me!

I have tried to maintain a website since 2002 and it can be a job! Our site isn't as full featured as others but we do try to get the scores up in a timely manner.

"The ATA site has nothing either Maybe they did not have a shoot after all." Your statement is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

FRedmon

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

This is really funny to me. Among the many things I have to do after the Delaware State shoot, I also accomplish the task of sending the results to the ATA for posting on their site. Not a single person says thanks. No one says thanks for getting the shoot report to T&F either. But if a little time slips by, there is always noise from the peanut gallery. No offer to help, just noise. And people want to know why I would quit....

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

FRedmon and others,

My discussion here in no way minimizes the efforts by those who attempt to maintain web sites and record and post scores. (I know Freddy, and he has a full-time job, maintains a rigorous shooting schedule and also keeps up the tarheeltrap web site as a service, which those of us who use it appreciate immensely. He also takes lots of pics of shoots he attends, and posts them.)

Most, if not all, the ATA shoots I've attended have used computers for registration and recording scores. Any programs used for this purpose can create reports that can be posted, relatively easily, to web sites. These scores can be posted sorted or unsorted, with or without comments.

Freddy, you post the top scores on your site, with comments. Wouldn't your job be made easier to post the raw reports, with all scores, and then make your comments?

For others interested in seeing scores: take good, clear, close-up pictures of score sheets and post them here. It's often done, but sometimes no one does it at shoots. At all shoots, I'd bet, there are folks like me who like to see all the score sheets. It's up to us to make sure they are seen by others.

Danny

7. Gary Waalkes

dmarbell - please tell me more about the software applications that can look at a list of high scores and determine winners, categories, open and resident, as well as shoot-off results and then just put it all into a MS Word document showing the event number/name, number of shooters, ATA Numbers, residence, etc. Perhaps your software can also identify shooters from their pictures and automatically record what event, the score, and the trophy they won.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Gary,

I made some assumptions about software. Software in general can do all the things you detailed above, except maybe for the outrageous facial recognition crack.

I'll see if our club's trap chair will let me play around with our software, and see what sort of reports can be created.

By the way, I am seeking ways to get more information posted, while making it easier, not harder, for reporters.

Danny

9. Gary Waalkes

Yeah dmarbell, keep on studying. In my opinion, the best way is to do the job at least once - none of your armchair quarterbacking. There is a big gap between having a computer spit out a list of high scores and generating a shoot report suitable for publishing. And exactly how do you think T&F knows who everybody is and what they won?? It does not come out of a computer - a person must manually ID each shooter and what they won. This stuff takes time, it is boring and in my experience nobody thanks the poor bastard who does the work.

while you are at it, the ATA also wants to know who took home the ATA trophies, what is their ATA # and mailing address. for CoC eligibilty purposes, they also want to know who came in second for all the categories. don't forget to write up the minutes of the annual meeting and get the election results into the ATA as well. It would also be nice if the computer would spit out a financial report at the end of the shoot.

Good luck, after you get everything working, I hope you will enlighten all of us.

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Gary,

From my first post above:
    "(I know Freddy, and he has a full-time job, maintains a rigorous shooting schedule and also keeps up the tarheeltrap web site as a service, which those of us who use it appreciate immensely. He also takes lots of pics of shoots he attends, and posts them.)"

Your own posts have good spelling and punctuation, for the most part, so I know you just unintentionally missed my accolades above. I even read the thread on here where someone thanked you for administration of a shoot.

Computers can do all the things you listed above. There probably isn't a program out there now that will do all those things, because there aren't enough users to justify someone developing the program at a reasonable cost.

I'm not a programmer or developer, and except for the challenge you issued which makes me want to play with our program to see what's out there, I have no interest in it.

There occasionally seems to be a clamor for more information. Even in raw form, with just names and scores, a file posted with all information would be enough for those of us with, apparently prurient, interest in seeing scores.

Danny

11. TrapMan3

TrapMan3 TS Member

Thought I would use this as an opportunity to plug our company in terms of web site development and management. I've got make a living after all, plus pay for my trapshooting habit.

My company Civic Mind Media (CivicMindMedia.com) is an internet consulting business that has been in operation since 1999. We have a service called SnapMediaworks.com that makes it extremely easy for anyone (authorized of course) in a club to update the web site in minutes rather than requiring someone to spend hours working with code.

Plus you can distribute the workload over a number of volunteers in your club. One person can post news, another might post events and scores and yet another might be responsible for the text and photographs on the site.

And when I say simple I mean it. It would take no more than 10-20 minutes to train someone how to use the SnapMediaworks system. Plus it is powerful. Even though my stable of geeks dream about programming code in their sleep we use Snap to post information to our own sites most of the time. It's much faster; especially for news items, adding photos and posting events.

We are just starting a campaign to use the system with ShotGun Clubs since I see the need and I love trapshooting. We set up a new social networking web site to start promoting these services http://trapsites.com.

SnapMediaworks.com (site is geared toward business but you will get the idea)

Regards,

Carl Stearns
    http://trapsites.com/trapman

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Click on the above web site. Under "event results," click on "Sporting Clay Shoots." I shot in the July 12 shoot, went off about 11:00 a.m. These results were posted on the site by 5:00 p.m. that day.

Now, this type of reporting is not as complex as a state shoot, or a large regional shoot. But this type of posting of scores is what I was inquiring about (not demanding, by the way).

I don't know what type of software Bill at Deep River uses.

Danny

13. vatrap

vatrap Member

duckeye,

If you have a specific question about a score you shot or a trophy you may have won email me offline and I'll look it up for you. Otherwise see post 2,3 and 4.
    Contrary to popular belief or current urban legend, the computer printouts we get do not list trophy winners, we get long list of every score by class or yardage and all of the numerous categories then have shootoffs in many cases to determine the trophy winners. All of these sheets are hand written then transferred back to computer after the events are over. Most of the VTA board spent 5 days at the state shoot, home for a couple of days then up to Fredericksburg for their first ever ATA shoot, then left Wednesday night to go back to Winchester for a 4 day zone shoot.

Like most everybody else, we all work for a living and get to the after action reports as soon as we can. We are working with a new web site administrator that just took over and he just received the state shoot trophy list this weekend and will post them as soon as he can. If you would like to assist our web site administrator in the future, send me your email address and I'll let him know you are available, otherwise I'll presume that the law of logical argument applies.

Mike Jeter

President

Virginia Trapshooting Association

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.