1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Virginia Shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bdalton, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdalton

bdalton TS Member

I will be moving to Virginia to go to College and was wondering if there are any good shoots that are good to go to. Also wondering if anybody knows of a gun locker that I will be able to put my shotgun at there in Virginia. I won't be able to have it at my apartment because it is to close to the College grounds. Thank you.

2. dshot

dshot Member

Try Vatrap.com, servaile gun clubs listed and shoot dates.
    I hope this helps

3. bdalton

bdalton TS Member

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it. I will be living in Buena Vista so it looks like the closest club will be Lynchburg. If you know any other clubs close to Buena Vista if you could please let me know. Thank you again for you time.

Britt Dalton

4. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Britt, Lynchburg is all the Club you will need. It is located north of the Hill City in the Madison Heights-Monroe area and is pretty much an easy drive from Buena Vista once you have overcome the horror of 501 from BV to Big Island. 501 crosses the James River at Big Island but you don't make that turn, you keep straight East on the north bank. You will come out on to US 29 about 2 miles from the club, which is located on the Izaak Walton Club property. The trap club has its own nearly new , vey nice clubhouse and you won't find a better bunch to shoot with than the ones in that club. They have three trap fields with voice release. They were using green targets when I was shooting there. It is the only club I have shot at where the wind is blowing in three different directions at the same time. I live in Wynn's Falls 60 miles south of Lynchburg and I shot there regularly up until a couple of years ago when I started having major health problems. They shoot the first Saturday of each month every month. About your gun storage, have you checked into Lexington? While it is inconvenient for you, there are self storage units there which may not be available in BV.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lynchburg will be the closest club and it is a fine club. There are a few other clubs (check out vatrap.com) that are within driving distance. With a little driving, it is not difficult to shoot 3-4 registered shoots each month from March to Nov. From Dec.- Feb. Christiansburg is the only club that throws registered targets.

Many of the Virginia schools have a trap team and you should not have a problem with your gun and shells. To my knowledge, there are no restrictions on housing guns off campus at VA Tech or Radford University. Other schools might have other policies.

Pat Ireland

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

For ATA shoots you have PSC, Stonewall, and some others that you can go to. PSC has the best lunch just to let you know.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Auctioneer- Your statement indicated that you have never shot at Bluefield. The lunch is free. The typical buffet style menu is fried chicken, baked chicken, roast beef, at least two types of potatoes (not including potato salad) and three salads, baked beans, baked bread and biscuits, free soft drinks and several selections for desert.

Bluefield only serves the deer, elk, moose, bear meats once a year. I like the elk. And, fried oysters find their way to the table a couple of times a year.

Pat Ireland

8. ewayne

ewayne TS Member

Hey Pat,
    As usual Kettlefoot has been forgotten. It must be our age that is causing the brain cramps. We have 4 Traps with voice release and we offer Trap, Sleet. 5-Stand and Sporting Clays. We also shoot all 12 months of the year. Our Skeet and Trap Fields are open 24/7/365 to members. We will register over 120,000 trap targets this year.

Wayne Wills
    President

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Hey Pat I've eaten Andreas cooking at Piedmont and all I can say is that Bluefield will really have to go some to beat it. That being said I am more than willing to come down and do an un-official non sanctioned taste test!!!! Where yall at? Can't find a Bluefield on the VTA website. You're not talking about shooting at Triangle and then slipping across the border into Wild and Wonderful are you. I would have to get my shots and passport updated.;o)

--- Chip King ---

10. Auctioneer

I have shot at a good number of clubs in Va but I have not had the time to go to BlueField. I would like to go to the southwest part of Va and shoot but time will tell when I can.

Chip can be a very good taste tester also. Beware he will need about 3 to 4 plates to make a honest dicision.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yup that's me Fat but Fair.

--- Chip King ---

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wayne- I did not forget your fine club at Kettlefoot, but it is a bit of a drive for this student who will live in Buena Vista. I really like to shoot at Kettlefoot, but you guys never let me win anything. I always seem to be one target behind you. Have you done anything about the deer problem at your club? Please teach your deer that they belong in the woods and automobiles belong on the road.

Pat Ireland

13. jdomas

jdomas Member

Pat,

Cristiansburg is not the only club to shoot Dec. to Feb. lynchburg shoots every month all year, its just last year we did not shoot several month ue to severe weather.

John D.

14. ewayne

ewayne TS Member

Pat, If you will come on down I'll try to let you win next time.LOL
    Wayne

15. Auctioneer

Now Now Chip, I didn't say your were fat. All I was saying is you have a good appotite(sp) and like good food. LOL.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Chip is a healthy well nourished Virginia Gentleman.

Pat Ireland

17. bdalton

bdalton TS Member

Want to thank everybody for there help I really appreciate it. Looking forward to grinding some targets in Virginia.

Thank You,
    Britt Dalton

18. highrib

highrib Member

Mr. Dalton,

We at Lynchburg do have an active ATA program as described in the posts above. We now shoot all orange targets being the one change I note in Wahoo’s post. We would hope that you would come across the mountain and participate with us. To practice regularly with us you would need to join the club. I have included the website address where you can look at requirements. After the first year dues are $170 per year. I may have some ideas to help you with your firearm storage. Call me and I can give you some options.434.946.5302 ext.105
    From my own personal experience I can only say we are blessed here in Virginia with some of the best food in the country. I have had memorable meals at all the clubs mentioned above along with Fairfax and Winchester. The one exception is I haven't got to shoot at the Wayne's Kettlefoot club which, a situation I hope to soon remedy.
    Thanks for all the kind words for our Lynchburg club from the posters above.
    Billy Wood
    Trap & Skeet Chairman IWLL

Wahoo, hope you can make it out to shoot with us again soon.

19. bdalton

bdalton TS Member

Mr Wood,
    Thank you for the response. I sent you a email if you can email me back. I will be leaving New Mexico on Saturday and heading to Buena Vista. I will try to give you a call again. Thank you for everything and looking forward to shooting at the club.
    Britt Dalton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.