1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Virginia shooters Please read!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigbore613, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Update on Virginia Crime Commission Hearing
    Please Continue Checking Your Email and www.NRAILA.org!

Today, Tuesday, December 9, the Virginia Crime Commission held a hearing on possible legislation for the 2009 session. The Crime Commission's mission was to analyze the difference between Federal and State law regarding the definition of a dealer and if Virginia may possibly regulate the sale of firearms by private dealers.

The Commission ruled that no recommendations will be voted upon but has set a meeting date of Tuesday, January 6 for a vote on legislative proposals. Please continue checking your email and www.NRAILA.org for any updates on this matter.

They are trying to make anyone who sells a gun a DEALER !! Call your Represenative today! Jeff

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I am afraid of whats coming . Jeff

3. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Where did you find the information about private dealers? I have not been able to find it going through the state websites.

Thanks.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Came through this afternoon from the NRA-ILA. Jeff

5. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

If that is your source, I would wait until the commission puts our its report. I have noticed that the NRA-ILA sometimes rushes to press before they get all of the information they need to know in order to write an unbiased statement. The Commission's full report is usually made available when the Chairman releases it and often enlarges on information released earlier.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If that is your source, How plain can I be and Frankly I dont care if its biased. Jeff

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I got the same NRA message that was sent to Jeff. I will make a few telephone calls this afternoon. Sometimes it is easier to stop legislation in a committee than after the committee has reported.

Pat Ireland

8. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Pat, the Crime Commission declined to allow a vote on the matter but said the Commission could vote on the question at its meeting the day before the opening of the House of Burgesses on January 14, which would allow public comments on the matter. The question was whether to require non-dealer firearm purchases at gunshows to be run through the Fed and State databases. The point is being pushed by those affected by the VPI incident though their point is not supported by any hard data so far. For that matter, neither is there any way such a connection can be made as no record is made of private sales at gunshows so it would be very difficult to connect the private sale at a gunshow with a crime unless the criminal volunteers the information that he/she bought the gun at a gunshow and that is not likely to happen. There have been a lot of negative comments made in this area about the VPI people pushing this agenda, such as their being dupes of Handgun Control, since their complaint is so obviously without merit and they are parroting Handgun Control. The VPI people are losing a lot of sympathy for their cause here in the Southside over this one tactic and they really should drop it now.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wahoo- One correction I would suggest for your post. I would change the term "VPI people" to "people who jumped on the VPI incident to further their own agenda".

To others, VPI = Va Tech. You can see them play in the Orange Bowl if you are interested.

Pat Ireland

10. E.D. Va

E.D. Va TS Member

For more information on shooting matters in the Commonwealth try looking at the Virginia Shooting Sports Assoc(VSSA) web site at myvssa.org There you will find a link to the VSSA Blog(s) regarding current firearms/shooting related matters here in Virginia.

The VSSA works year round with the General Assembly members. Not just when the Assembly is in session like most other organizations do. The VSSA is respected by both friend and foe alike. You may even want to consider taking out a membership in this NRA Official State Association.

Lu Charette

11. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Pat, can't go along with your suggestion. A Ms. Hugbu (not sure of the spelling and I have thrown away the Richmond Times Disgrace copy that showed her picture) testified before the Commission and she is both a VPI student and is one that was injured in the incident so she is not just furthering her agenda.
    However, she is an immigrant and as such is prime materiel for the Handgun Control crowd, and was obviously just parroting what they told her to say without understanding the implications. I have noticed that most of the complainants are identified as the parents of one of the students involved in the incident or as in the case of the lady above, were themselves victims, so they will appear to have a reason for their stance. However, it is obvious that Handgun Control is manipulating these people for its own purposes, feeding on their grief to promote their cause, which just goes to demonstrate what lowlifes these gun control people are.

Ms Charette, the VSSA is a lobbying organization and it's newsletter is in fact a mini-newspaper. There are no unbiased newspapers of any size as one of the purposes of any newspaper is to sway the opinion of its readers and sometimes truth is the first casualty. That is why a person should not take as fact most of what they read in newspapers, especially in the editorial pages, nor what is contained in a lobbying organization's handouts, newsletters, magazines or e-mail alerts, and that is why I am always wary of the frenetic messages and clouds of letters issued by the NRA.

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I will take the NRA's word over anything in any newspaper. Without them many things go unheard until legilation is passing. Jeff

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wahoo- The only question/disagreement I have about your post is when you refereed to Lu Charette as Ms Charette.

Pat Ireland

14. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Pat, thanks for the wakeup.

Lu Charette, my sincere apologies. Not knowing you, my only reason for calling you Ms. was that I have known two women named Lu, wives of friends of mine over the years. Lu was their husband's nicknames for them, one's name was Lucy and the other was named Louise. Rest assured that I won't make that mistake again. Which reminds me of what my commanding officer in the Corps said about me, "He never makes the same mistake twice but there aren't any mistakes he hasn't made". That was 51 years ago and I am still making mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.