1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Virginia Relocation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fanugee, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Hello,

In the process of relocating to VA and could use any help that is available.

I am interested in shotgun sports, reloading, gundogs, waterfowl and upland hunting.

While working here the past two weeks I have encountered
    The Dixie Classic Gun Show at the Showplace
    Green Top Sporting Goods
    Dance's Sporting Goods
    The usual Gander Mt & Bass Pro

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. 1oz

1oz Member

Fanugee,

Sounds like you are looking in the Richmond Area ? Contact me private messages.

jim

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

where in VA? In northern VA?? If so, that's where I'm located......

Green Top Sporting Goods, near Richmond, is about the only decent locally owned shop in all of VA that has a good and variable selection of shotgun target guns....highest end, new, is usually the Beretta non-premium grade guns.

For Perazzi, you have to travel to Gaithersburg, MD, to go see Larry Friedman, as he is the closest P gun dealer in the DC metro area. For the other high end guns (Kolar, Krieghoff, etc.), you have to travel out of state.

For reloading supplies, i know of only Fairfax Rod and Gun (the pro shop is open to the public) and Bull Run Shooting Center that carry shotgun reloading supplies....someone else familiar with them can attest to the availability of reloading supplies.

For upland hunting, I was told the only viable option is preserve hunting if you are going after pheasants, grouse, and quail....I am still researching this because I would like to find some public land to hunt these species and i haven't found any luck yet.

for Waterfowl, I heard if you hunt east of Interstate 95, you have to have connections to get a good blind spot on the Chesapeake....still looking for a good duck hunting spot as well....

if you are into handguns and military style semi-autos, Virginia Arms Co. in Manasssas has the best selection and prices around in northern VA. $30 transfers, while other northern VA shops charge from $50 and above. You may be able to find some home based FFL to charge less than $50.

for northern VA, Bull Run is the only public access range around for trap/skeet, and sporting clays. Sporting Clays is automated. They hold NSCA events, but I have not seen any registered skeet nor trap events being held there since I have started shooting there (2008). Prince George's County in MD is another option for public open access range for trap/skeet/sporting clays.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

forgot to add.. Sam Work from from Stafford, VA, sells Rio in bulk, if you are looking to buy target ammo in bulk. He will order Win and Remington on special order basis, even subgauge but does not keep any on hand most of the time. If you are willing to make the drive to the Stafford/Quantico area, you should look him up.

teamworkshooting@hotmail.com

Quantico will be opening up their bunker trap sometime soon. Sam teaches bunker there as well and knows the schedule....I'll be taking some bunker lessons from him in the coming months....the other bunker in the region is at PG County Trap and Skeet.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Where are you locating to in Virginia?

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

some of the shops he had mentioned are in the Richmond area so I assume that's where he will be setting up shop....

Green Top is a great store....

7. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Thanks to all of your for the vaiubale information. The relocation will be within one hour of Richmond.

As soon as I find some free time I will seek out several of the clubs. Looking forward to the new adventure here in VA.

8. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

VA duh.... LOL, I opened this thing that the Veteran's Administration was relocating or something... Good luck with the move!

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

You should apply, if interested, for your CCW permit, once you satisfy the residency requirements. We are a shall issue state.

10. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

All PM messages have been returned.

Appreciate all the welcome messages. I apologize to all the for not properly naming the thread Virgina relocation instead of VA relocation.

I am currently working in Prince George Co. Mon-Fri and commuting home on weekends. I look for to breaking some clays with all of you when I relocate here full time this summer.

The CCW permit is on the list. I am also a certified hunter safety instructor and have contacted the VA DNR to volunteer. I am also a certified NRA shotgun instructor.

For what's it's worth I also have two retrievers a lab and a chessie.

Once again appreciate the warm welcome.

11. vatrap

vatrap Member

If you are in the Richmond area, there is plenty of shooting available.

Ft. Lee in Colonial Height/Hopewell has trap/skeet and a 5 stand, fun shoots are the 3rd Sunday of every month in the winter and registered trap and skeet staring in the spring. You will need a drivers license, vehicle registration card and proof of insurance to get on base the first time, after that you can get a base pass from MWR.

Conservation Park is a private club in Charles City, has trap, skeet and a 5 stand. They have open fun shoots on the first Sunday of the month in the winter and registered trap and skeet in the summer.

Old Forge Sporting Clays is in Providence Forge and has fun shoots on the 4th Sunday of the month.

PM or email me if you want any more information.

Mike

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

PG County Trap and Skeet is a state run range so if you are in the area, you should check it out....lot of the more serious trap and skeet shooters in the immediate DC metro region go there. They also have a bunker trap. Call ahead to confirm, they will open it up if you call ahead of time.

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Prince Georges Trap and Skeet is a great place to shoot, but it is a long ride from Prince George County, Virginia.

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

thanks eightbore...got ahead of myself there...I always forget there is a PG County in VA....for us DC area folks, when someone says PG County, we think of MD.

15. EEB

EEB Member

If you are moving to Prince George/Petersburg area, Sussex Sporting Clays is about 30 minutes south off Rt. 460. They have good BBQ down that way too.

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Second the BBQ along RT 460 heck for that matter Petersburg south into the Carolinas.

17. jdomas

jdomas Member

Welcome to Virginia! You can check vatrap.com for a list of all active trap clubs int he tate with their scheduled shoots.

John D.
    Lynchburg, VA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.