1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Stock Finish

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I am in the process of refinishing a H&R topper 410 for my grandson, to give to him for Christmas. I got this gun about 1965, Refinished it in the 70's using polyurthane. It's beautifull walnut. Thinking what would be the best finish for him as durability?? Not sure what finish was on it in 1965, any suggestions??
    Thanks
    Railroad

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

On the older ones I use either Minwax satin (or semi-gloss) spray polyurethane or Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil depending on the look I want.

3. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

For the average , Verithane is ok it's durable , easily applied. It ia abitch to take off. I prefer sealer then Oil finish can be touched up as needed. I just finished a browning that took about 10 hours to get the thane off. of course I was careful of the checkering. marv

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

This stock has no checkering.Thanks
    Railroad

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I took my Browning Plus to a furniture stripping shop and had the finish removed for $20. It didn't hurt the wood that a little steel wool didn't take care of, nor did it hurt the checkering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.