1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage or Fast Bikes You Owned Or Now Own

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolar12, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Since winter is taking its toll on my brain, I thought that I would do the motorcylcle thing. The car thread is great, so lets see what bikes you have owned.

I have owned a 1965 Honda 160. Sold it when I went into the service.
    Bought a 1967 Honda 305 scrambler while stationed in Arizona. Wish I still had it.

Bought a 1970 CB450 after the service and still own it. Great shape!

Last bike I bought was a Honda MR175 dirt bike. Two cycle strong running dirt bike.

So what did you own?

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've got a Cannondale SR300, twelve speed. Does that count?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Norton,Ducati,Triumph,Hodaka,Moto Parilla,Gold Star,Matchless,........I would have to work on the memory quite hard to get them all in one shot. There's an inert Yamah Seca in the garage, wish it wasn't so cold so I could work on it.

A little Blendzall on the stove might help to jog the memory.

HM

4. culverken

culverken Member

My two current bikes (both very fast)My '06 Suzuki RMZ450 and my '96 Sportster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken

5. beaker100

beaker100 Member

1928 h-d jd, 1937 h-d wl, 1975 h-d fx, 1946 indian chief, indian mini bike with a sidecar (arimochi), 2004 bourget fat daddy beach cruiser, 1970 h-d xlch (high school bike). a few of the bikes i can remember! doug

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I had a Schwinn when I was in high school that was pretty fast. lol

The faster I pedaled the faster it went......Amazing......lol

Here is the closest picture I could find of it.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

7. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I've done alot of racing on road and off but the scariest bike I ever put a leg over was a 1973 Kawisaki H2. Thats a 3 cylinder 750cc two stroke. That thing handled like crap and when you cracked the throttle brown stuff tended to run off the back fender!!

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Honda 450 Scrambler....cool bike with the upswept pipes...but with drum brakes front and back was scary to stop!!

9. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I had 2, when I was young and dumb that would actually scare the crap out of you. Both were Kawasaki, a 73-74 Orange 500cc, 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Sounded like a can full of pissed off bumble bees, crack the gas and hang on. Then a 76 KZ900cc 4 stroke, which I don't know how I lived thru owning. After that era, I had several ho-hum, yawn, H.D's. Like riding a slug compared to the rice rockets, but all were fun.

10. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

1983 V65 Magna man that thing was spooky fast.Red line 7000 if I remember right 3 gear against the red 120 3 to go. I chickened out at 150 still had more throtle and one more gear.

11. biff

biff Active Member

Fastest bike was a Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo, on the expressway it seemed to make the cars ahead of you fly past you backwards! Still have and love my '78 SR500 single cylinder thumper Yamaha which is all original and ride it during warm weather. Used to race on Bultacos for scrambles and a HD Aeromacchi Sprint 250 for flat track. Biff

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The fastest bike I ever owned was a vintage Vincent "Black Shadow". When you grabbed a hand full of throttle on that baby it had a tendency to want to make sure you paid for it, in fear....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Current-67 Bonneville T-120R, 66 Bonneville T-120TT, 73 CB-350(Queen Bee's bike)
    Past- 86 Yamaha TT500-Champion Frame, 70 XLCH, 71 FLH, 78 RM 250, 69 Commando.

One of these days I'm going to buy a modern bike with real brakes :>)

14. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

halfmile & biff will appreciate this one. As an 84 lb. 14 year old racing AMA Class C flat track (back in the 70's)on a parent's signed age waiver, my dad went & purchased a 250cc Nampa Twin, which was 2 125cc Yamaha YZ (2 stroke) Noguchi kitted top ends put together on some kind of twin bottom end, stuck into a Trackmaster frame. I was so short that they cut 2 inches out of the center of the frame & removed all of the padding on the seat so my feet would reach the ground. It was so damned fast it was deadly dangerous. I raced 3 1/2 mile races and 1 mile at Sedalia with it, qualified from Novice to Junior Division & dad sold it. When it was "up on the pipe" I was not heavy enough to keep the front wheel on the ground when shifting from 4th to 5th gear at somewhere well over 100 MPH. I know there are faster bikes, but that thing was wicked scary!!! Wanna talk about making your heart thump quicker...

Mike

15. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

My current bike, setting in the garage, is a 1982 BMW R100RS. My wife got me the bike for my birthday 10 years ago. Yup, I have a fantastic wife. We got it from the man who owned the BMW dealership on Oklahoma City, who had bought it from the original owner. The bike has a little over 17,000 miles on it. Not killer fast like the Japanese bikes, but so much torque, it is a blast to ride. I don't ride nearly as much as I used to because trap shooting and golf take up a lot of my time, but I still enjoy looking at the bike everyday.

16. mrpheyed

mrpheyed TS Member

First bike,an early '70s Suzuki Titan 500 2cyl/2stroke. I scared myself many times on it,surveved,and learned respect. Currently an '88 BMW R-100GS it has taken me anywhere I want to go for quite some time and will continue to do so. It makes an old fat guy feel quick and agile. Can't wait till Spring...

17. twopipe

twopipe Member

2 triumphs I own(ed)sold the Sprint now

[​IMG]

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Had an old YZ 490 with drum brakes! An honest 100 mph and damn! That thing would shoot boulders and crap ,you did not want to be behind it , or in front if you had to stop. LOL Jeff

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1984 Honda V65 Magna purchased new and still own it. Never ride it anymore - I like my Harley better and I am too old for that kind of speed. When I was younger, drinking and stupid I pegged it out at 150 and parked it. Never road it much after that. There are more photos on the web address above for you V65 lovers

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Biff & Mike, the days of 250 Novice AMA flat track were a wonderful time.

My novice and short track bike was a Ducati, and John Gregory from Sunset Motors in Kenosha Made the motor go fast with some info from the Hayes boys in Kentucky.

The Gold Star was a great classic flat tracker. Mine was previously ridden by Eddie Clifford, who went to the seminary not to get drafted to Nam.

Had Bultaco and GYT kit Yammie to ride after racing went in the crapper, There were still others, the shop I worked in had a Bridgestone 175 Racer with unmuffled expansion chambers, it was a jet that ran right with the 250's.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dirt bike safety