1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnam vets verses today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omgb, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

While in DC this past week i couldn't help but notice how every time I passed a soldier in uniform, folks were greeting them, thanking them and generally honoring their service. This was very different from my experience in the early 70s and 80s. We weren't even allowed to travel off base in our uniforms for fear of public reprisals and or disturbances. Now guys/gals are all over DC in camo fatigues. Any way, i was sitting down in the American History museum next to a couple of Army Rangers and mentioned this difference. To my surprise they turned and thanked me for my service and for taking the heat from the public. One opined that present day service personnel were benefiting from the collective societal guilt over the way we Vietnam era vets were treated and that today's gushing outflow of thanks was a reaction to the shame over the public's past sins. I'd never thought of it that way. I suppose he's got a point. At any rate, I'm glad to see today's troops being treated like the men and women of honor they are.

I wonder if the little girl whose mom called me a murderer and a sadist while we were riding on an RDT bus (I was in route home on leave in Class A uniform) has changed her opinion? Shoot, I wonder what the little girl thinks today. She would have to be in her late thirties now.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There may be some collective national guilt, and there should be.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I intend to agree

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

5. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I come from a small town in West Texas, and each time I came home on leave, I was treated with kindness. I was very fortunate not to have witnessed the bias that my RVN brothers and sisters had to endure. I was asked by my preacher to wear my Class "A"'s to church every time I was home to show the uniform. I was proud and remain proud of the service that my shipmates served.
    Larry Burleson USN (Ret), 1971-1994; RVN 1971-1972; Off Beruit 1985; Desert Storm; UN Forces-Freedom of Somalia 1993-1994

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

omgb, it was only bad in big cities and university towns. It was awful in my native Philadelphia, except for the police who went way out of their way to say thanks. Once you got past the suburbs, it wasn't an issue.

7. 525 KID

525 KID TS Member

I have nothing but the greatest respect for the vietnam vets and all others asked to go to foriegn lands and fight so i can be free and do as i please!! i have a few men that i work with and some of the jungle fighting they went thru was just beyond belief!!! When they tell their stories and you can see it in their eyes that they are far away in a different place and they are still traumatised as of this day of the things they winessed and survived!! we just see it in movies these days and don't think much of it,but for most of those guys they can't watch stuff like that because it brings back to many horrible memories and it was real for them!!! read the book WE WERE SOLDIERS ONCE... AND YOUNG !!! THERE WERE A LOT MORE THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THE BOOK THAN THE MOVIE WAS WILLING TO GIVE UP.... GOOD MOVIE ANYWAY!! GOD BLESS YOU GUYS AND MAY YA'LL FIND THE PEACE YA'LL SO MUCH DESERVE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.