1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnam in HD

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

Did anyone else catch Vietnam in HD on the History channel last night? I really enjoyed it. I'm 47 and really enjoy WW2 and Vietnam history. I found it very sad when they were discussing Hill 937 (Hamburger Hill) that after the loss of 100+ lives and 200+ wounded that we abandoned the hill. That kind of metality drives me crazy! What in the h$$$ did those young men die for?

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

FIB,

It's the grunts that are the ultimate American heros...not necessarily the brass...and certainally NOT the politicians! JMO.

milt

3. FIB

FIB Member

The thing that drives me nuts is the stupidity in which the brass gambled with these young mens lives. Evidently there wasn't any significance in the taking of this hill except hoping for a high body count. I just don't get it.

4. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

FIB,

War is a little like being pregnant. You'll never understand it until it happens to you, and even then you won't understand it completely.

The next time you see a GI, show him some form of appropriate respect:it'll really mean a lot to him.

Kit Thomas

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I recorded it. Hope to watch it this evening.

6. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

There was no significance in Viet Nam, period. We should not have been there.

I have a good friend, one of thousands like him, who is still paying the price. He had to quit shooting because of the reactions to the sounds of guns - after all these years.

May those that sent us there rot in Hell.

7. FIB

FIB Member

I have a great deal of respect for all past veterans and men/women currently in service and I tell all I see in uniform that I appreciate there service. I just look at Vietnam and think what a waste. When I was a freshman in HS we had some VN boat people move into town. I befriended one of them (Thuong Nguyen) who was from Saigon. He told me that less than 24 hrs after the last Americans left Saigon the country fell. So what did the sacrifice of all those "kids" (avg. age in 'Nam was 19) do? At least in WW2 you could say that the men that died help save the world from tyranny but 'Nam?????????? What a TOTAL waste IMO.

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

No we shouldn't have been there. My theory is that it was the beginning of the downfall of "our society." The government discovered we could manage our finances by getting in to little wars that cost billions and that the great unwashed could be made to pay in not only money but blood for their stupidity.
    I have spent the past 40 years embarassed at what Westmorland did to our young people. I believe he was the one that invented the body count scoring system and then messed with it to make him and his cronies look good.
    I too thought that VN in HD was good to a point.
    2 Tours 69 and 70.

9. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

I watched a portion of the program this morning, I will finish it later today. I was there in '67, and part of '68, in the Central Highlands. Although the Officers,that I was in close contact with, were about the same age as I was, these guys used common sense, as opposed to some of the Officers I encountered. In many cases their decisions didn't make any sense to me, other then them trying to be "John Wayne". Don't even get me started about the ARVN's! I witnessed a couple of incidents, where my Unit was supposed to support these ARVN troops during a mopping up operation. The ARVN troops started getting fire, and proceeded to drop their rifles,ammo, and packs, and run through the U.S. Troops. All I could do was stay on the M60, and cover the Americans. I will never forget that. Even today when I see a Mung, or Vietnamese, I just give them the 1000 yard stare.

Enough venting from me.

WELCOME HOME BROTHERS.

SGT. "Ski"

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

That was not Hamburger Hill. Hamburger Hill was several years later.

11. FIB

FIB Member

I love history but it seems our politicians don't because we seem to like making the same mistakes over and over. Iraq- weapons of "mass destruction" what weapons? Afghanistan - the Russians VN and where are we at??? How many Americans must die and how many billions spent on a war that IMO is unwinnable? We have enough issues here at home that we could be spending the money on. Our infrastructure is crumbling and many of our states are broke. OK, I'll get off my soap box. Didn't mean to rant.

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Mrs. Keet, do some research before popping off here.

"The Battle of Hamburger Hill was a battle of the Vietnam War which was fought by the United States and South Vietnam against North Vietnamese forces from May 10–20, 1969. Although the heavily fortified Hill 937 was of little strategic value, U.S. command ordered its capture by a frontal assault, only to abandon it soon after. The debacle caused an outrage both in the American military and public.

The battle was primarily an infantry affair, with the U.S. Airborne troops moving up the highly sloped hill against well entrenched troops. Attacks were repeatedly repelled by weather, friendly fire, accidents, and especially the highly effective Vietnam People's Army (VPA) defenses. Nevertheless the Airborne troops took the hill through direct assault, causing extensive casualties to the VPA forces, and taking such in their own units."

13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

FIB please rant on. It was because people like me didn't rant that "they" still get away with it. Like a dummy I went to work and made a living and didn't get as involved as I should have,we do not have to have our young people shedding blood on some desert.
    In truth we supported the wrong side, look how Vietnam is doing under communism, freedom doesn't work for everyone. Diem and his cronies ARVN were cowards and butchers. That makes the people love you, no wonder it didn't take long after we pulled out for them to fall.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

kiv-c - The hill in that episod was Hill 875. Different place, different year. Tactics on Hill 875 were somewhat understandable due to US lack of experience against NVA at that time.

Hamburger Hill is more of a mystery considering the direction General Abrams was trying to take the US effort in Vietnam, and our knowledge of NVA capabilities by 1969.

15. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

You need to start listening to Peter, Paul, and Mary...and if that doesn't work, try Joan Baez.

16. FIB

FIB Member

My apologies regarding Hamburger Hill. I thought the vet's interviewed last night were refering to Hill 875 as "Hamburger Hill" but when I referenced "Hamburger Hill" this AM wikipedia said Hill 937 not 875...sorry Randy Price

17. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

WS1 When will they ever learn? Possibly the voice of reason.

18. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I think the battle shown on "Vietnam in HD" is the one depicted in the movie "We Were Soldiers" which was the Ia Drang valley in 1965.

20. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.....but then again, I'm just being my usual sarcastic self. We had them by the balls on a down hill pull and the cowardly pinko-communist faggots broke the will of an equally cowardly congress. As your "in country" dates will attest, there is no such thing as a pretty war, but if people want pretty, they should go to Disney movies.

As crazy as it might sound, Freedom ain't free. Freedom is a GLOBAL issue and as long as we believe in FREEDOM, then we'll have to pay the price to insure it.

Don't forget, the real words were "Puff, the tragic faggot........."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.