1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vietnam - anyone done the tourist thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Surferboy, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surferboy

Surferboy Member

I got an email last week from the The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (The Wall), inviting me too join "The Wall" founder & President Jan Scruggs and Ret. Gen'l Barry McCafferty on an 8 day visit to Vietnam ($3,500). I know vets have been going there on tours for years but don't know if their experiences are mostly positive or negative. Might be more fun redoing R&R in Australia for $3,500. Anyone made the trip or know guys who have and what the visit has meant to them? Thanks, Steve

2. Budj

Budj TS Member

Yes, I know several that have gone back. All have thought it was a worthwhile trip. I also have a friend in San Antonio, Texas, Vietnam Battlefield Tours, that takes groups over several times a year. I know some that have gone with him and gave the tour and the guides a first class rating.

Me, I'm not ready yet. Enjoy

Bud Johnson

3. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have no desire to go back - nothing I left over there I want or can get back.

My sanity
    Part of my health
    Some of my friends
    My youth
    My naiveness
    My belief in the general population of the U.S. to appreciate and thank those who protect their libertys

For those who haven't been, they'll never understand. For those who have, go to Washington to the Viet Nam memorial and pay your respects to your fallen brothers ( and sisters ).

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I would rather do R&R again at Tiger Lil's in Bangkok!

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I did the I Corps tour in '04. It was a spur of the moment decision I made to support an old friend, and I really got nothing from the experience. I would feel much better if I had the $5,000 that I spent back in the bank. JMHO.

Kip

6. Mike

Mike Member

spent my tour walking point in the mountains around chu lai and up north of da nang, my luck I find another booby trap, not to mention leaches, skeeters, rats, snakes, heat, humidity, rain, malaria.... I pass, Mik

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Only if I could bring my lost friends home.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your service, it might not have been appreciated by all....but should have.....and IS here! As for spending $3500 on a vaca....go to Australia or Alaska instead!-Frank C

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I left my youth in that CRAP HOLE, as well as a lot of friends. There was not one thing I liked about the place. I suspect it hasen't changed very much. Vietnam could have been a different planet, as far as I was concerned.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think it would be interesting and VietNam is a beautiful country.........personally tho', I don't think I could stomach the lectures from the current Vietnamese Gov't approved guides?

John C. Saubak

in country 1967-'68

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.