1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Viet Nam Vets/Cancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pduryee, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

The thread about Before they are Gone has made me wonder about types of cancer affecting Viet Nam Vets. I was there at the tail end 70-71 and spent some time working in areas that had been defoliated. I was stationed for a time on Phan Rang AFB where the "Ranch Hand" aircraft were based. Every few weeks the base and surrounding area was sprayed for mosquitos by the Air Force. I've been told by former crewmen that the same aircraft were used for agent orange and bug spray. I have two friends that crewed those aircraft one is sinking fast at the VA and the other seems healthy. I myself lost a kidney to cancer at 50 but seem to be clear now. My sons born before my tour are healthy, daughter born after has a had a myriade of medical problems.

It just seems like an awful lot of us are having battles with one form or another of cancer. Of sourse I was told by the VA that my particular cancer was not related to A.O. What cancers have you guys come across in Vets?

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I am currently struggling through a claim with VA with AO symptons. I am not only going after the "presumptive" conditions like diabetis, I have a lower leg skin discoloration (where we bloused our fatigues) that has yet to be diagnosed. I am convinced that it is due to Dioxin (AO) exposure. It's been 5 months and I have 2 more Doctor visits scheduled in a couple of weeks. The bottom line here is a Vet shouldn't be discouraged because his condition(s) aren't listed as a presumptive contion. AO can cause alltypes of cancer I'm convinced. Any Vet who thinks that he or she has a condition should file a VA claim and fight it through. It's very easy to get discouraged and give up.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I had prostate cancer when I was 41, then a re-occurace 4 yrs later, another guy and i were exposed to a lagre dose of radiation in Thailand, from a nuclear oil level system on a EC 135, supposed to be cover with lead if exposure was over 4 minutes, and we were right on top of it for about 6 hrs

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

File a claim through DAV

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why wouldnt you file a presumptive claim?

Several cancer related conditions are about to be added

Regardless- filing a presumptive condition claim is the way to go- if it isnt presumptive its going to be denied unless you have service medical records to show that you had the condition in the service or unless a "chronic" condition manifest itself within one year of seperation and you have the medical records to prove it

The only exception to the above are the conditons that they are about ready to add.

If you are following somone else advice about avoiding presumptive conditions and to fight for conditions that cant be proven to be service connected - you are following horrible advice and wasting time and losing medical treatment and possible compensation

Get better advice-

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Think about it.... each year the VA increases the presumptive conditions list. Why? Could it be that us Viet Vets are dying faster than WWII Vets did? Alot of $$$$ saved.

7. skipsor

skipsor Member

My brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer related to Agent Orange exposure. It got away from him and he died 5 years ago. He was declared 100% disabled as a result of the exposure.

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Try the American Legion, they will fight for you.....You ground pounders had agent orange, in the Navy we had asbestos.......GOOD LUCK

9. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I don't mean any thing sarcastic by this, but under the new health care laws won't everything be covered? At least that's what the folks who voted for it kept telling us.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

USASA 1969-71

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Be as sarcastic as you want, nothing kicks in except paying fo 4 years.

I lost 2 good friends to pancreatic cancer, but before they made the AO connection.

HM

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

My older brother died of colon cancer that was diagnosed too late. He had told me that he was there while they were spraying agent orange.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.