1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VIDEOCAM - recommendations please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bas, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bas

bas Member

hmmmm, I'm looking for one also!

2. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Leo uses a video camera during his clinics. Most shooters never see themselves shooting. Football or basketball players use hours and hours of film to study their play, shooters are missing out on a great learning tool. We bought a very inexpensive camera and a tripod. A more expensive camera would pick up the shot string, but that is not what we are working with. We are working on the person, when the shooter does the right things,then the shot string will go in the right place. When filming at a clinic we take note of the shooter's foot position, overall stance/balance, placement of their hand on the forend, head position on the stock, their pre-shot routine, their swing, and movements after the shot.

3. HarryK

HarryK TS Member

Had some of the same questions last year. First grandson was born so you just have to have one. Also wanted to try it for trap. First choice was what type of media I wanted, tape, DVD, or Hard Drive(HD). For me I thought the HD would be better, easy to edit and burn to DVD. After a little research I decided on a Sony DCR-SR40 30Gb Handycam. It's a nice unit and very user friend. The only draw back I've found it only has the LCD display to view while recording. Indoors it's great, outside in the shade good, but outside in the sun it is very hard to see. Also (for me) it appears a more difficult to try and follow movement or action just looking at LCD screen. Just seems a little awkward compared to looking through a viewfinder to follow movement.

When I purchased this unit all the HD models I looked at only came with the LCD display. HD units may be available now with viewfinder and LCD screen.

This is just my personal experiance and something consider.

4. bas

bas Member

Well Ontario Girl...I still haven't made a decision. How 'bout you! I have looked at just about every site out there...Hap....have you gotten one yet?

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No, not yet BAS, I have it whittled down to a hard drive Sony for sure. I like the Carl Zeiss lens for clarity above most others in the cameras I can afford. I'll let you know which model I decide to buy later. Hap

6. steele

steele TS Member

I've been using Canon GL-2 cameras for years. This is used by alot of the hunting/fishing shows. It'll do anything a professional wants to do, so it ought to take good care of you. The lenses are the best in the industry, as they fit SLR cameras too. You can find alot of the them of Ebay for close to $1000-1200. You can always get the same amount when you go to sell it. New ones are $2200-2500, depending on extras. I don't think you will be disappointed. Butch

7. Hap MecTweaks

Zard, Yes from Wed. on. I haven't decided whether or not to shoot the prelims yet. If the ol neck and back would hold up I'd shoot every target thrown! I'll see you there! Hap

8. Hap MecTweaks

Will do Zard! I'm looking forward to it. Hap

9. Hap MecTweaks

Zard, two tin cans and a tightly stretched wire is sorta cheap for an extra phone? :) Thrifty too! LMAO Hap

10. clayshooter53

clayshooter53 TS Member

Hey, Gang:

As with ANY electronic equipment, PCs, digital cameras, "movie cameras" and the like, it has been recommended by most professionals to buy as expensive of a unit as you can afford. The reasoning behind this "idea" is that sometime in the future you are going to say to your self "why didn't I spent the little more for that unit that had the option(s) I want today?" Sure, you might not need the option(s) at the time of purchase but you may want them some time down the road. If you are recording a subject that is, for the most part, stationery, don't forget to add one most important piece of equipment... the tripod. No matter how steady you "think" you can hold the camera, you will never be as steady as a tripod. I also recommend that you purchase a "remote release". This will allow you to snap that picture or start the recording when you want and, in the case of a "movie camera" stop the unit when you want without jiggling the equipment. This eliminates the start-up jitter or that out of focus image because the camera moved just as you activated the shutter. When purchasing a still camera or a movie camera give high consideration to a unit that has a "through the lens" viewfinder. This will allow you to more accurately follow "action shots". Trying to do this with an image on a 2", 3" or 4" LCD screen will prove to be very disappointing when viewing the results. Before purchasing ANY high tech device, do your home work and research the products you are considering to purchase. Consumer Reports Magazine is a great place to start as they do a lot of research on the consumer products market place which should provide extremely valuable information as well as a list of pricing information that may assist you with your decision on a particular product. Another place to investigate is the WEB. There are many sites that do comparisons of the products in which you are interested. Surprisingly, the most expensive device may not always be the best choice for your needs.

A neat product I recently saw on the American Rifleman program on the Outdoor Channel was a gun mounted camera that could be of significant value to new shooters as well as seasoned ones. This camera has a "steady cam" feature that assists with keeping the image in focus and eliminates jeriness during recoil. It conveniently mounts to the barrel or the magazine tube and will "see" where you are shooting. The demonstration was facinating to watch. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the manufacturer. You may be able to find that information by going to the American Rifleman web site. This camera can be mounted to rifles or shotguns.

I hope this has helped you. Best of luck in your decision.

Billy P.
    Rochester NY
    (Home of Eastman Kodak Company)

11. bas

bas Member

Clayshooter53 and MUZZLEBLAST - thanks for the input. I tend to "over" research and hence - can't make a decision! I usually end up with way more than I need (features I will never use) when it comes to "tech" products. I'm seeing good reviews on Sony, Canon, Panasonic, JVC.... And, wouldn't the gun mounted vidcam be great? I think Kay Ohye used to use something of that nature in his instructional videos? CNET is another good place for reviews/research.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Billy P., thank you for your information! I was thinking about the gun camera also prior and sent a note to Tom Knapp of Benelli fame asking the same question. I researched some of the cameras but I didn't find an under the barrel mounted one? Here's his answer.

Hello Gene it's Tom Knapp,

Thank you for your interest and support! Well appreciated. Regarding the
    Benelli Cam, I don't know anything about it. The producer has it on my TV
    gun when I arrive and I just shoot it. I can tell you that the sight picture
    when shooting is nothing like the normal sight picture, therefore one does
    not learn by correlation. In other words, the TV viewer is able to see the
    correct sight picture and learn from it. The shooter (or user) has to use an
    incorrect sight picture to achieve success so one does not correlate with
    the other.

Do a search for "Lipstick" camera and you should probably find something.

Best Regards, Tom Knapp

Watch The Outdoor Channel for the NEW

"Benelli's American Birdhunter"

Thursday's at 7:30pm - 11:30pm (ET)

Friday's at 2:30am (ET)

tom@tomknapp.net www.tomknapp.net

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Well, B...you don't want to ask me! LOL!!! I still have the Sony that I bought in 1992. :) That's, like, 200 years old in equivalent technology years. hahahahha

(I had a great time shooting ATA this year. Thanks for pushing me to get started. Hope to see you again soon)!

14. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

WOW - thank you so much folks for all this terrific information - you've all been very helpful and generous with your knowledge.
    We certainly have a great community, don't we?

And Devi - you're welcome. Glad you're in. Keep me posted.
    b.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.