1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Video of Patriot with Hull Feeder and Autodrive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SPRINTBENDER, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

Below is a youtube link to short video of my Ponsness Warren Patriot with the electric Autodrive and Hull Feeder options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk2C13G7PVY&feature=youtu.be

Vern

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Looks pretty slick.

3. lboh

lboh Member

Sweet setup!!!!!!!

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I did notice that the primers weren't feeding...is that the norm?

Rick in MT

5. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

The primers stick every once in a while it will get a little jammed up. It's pretty common issue on PWs, just give it a little tap and it will start feeding. It was a little awkward running it from the side so the camera could get a good view of the process. Normally my sons job is to insert the wads and if the primers hang just tap it once or twice. I do the hard part hold the switch :)

Vern

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

On my old 800 I inclined the primer tray to a steeper angle. No more primer feed problems. Marc

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could get a close up video of the hull feeder as it pushes the shell into and under the shell plate? That seems to be a big hang up for people with shell feeders, and yours appears to work flawlessly.

8. SPRINTBENDER

SPRINTBENDER Member

I will try after getting back from going to the club this afternoon to post a close up video of the ram assembly and how I timed it and set the travel later this afternoon.

The biggest problem I found is the the ram would jump and jerk as the machine would cycle causing the shell to rock on the seating post inducing a jam in the sizing dye. At first it was frustrating so I removed the feeder tube and hopper. After removal. I then started to run it feeding the hulls into the ram by hand. I tried running it squeaky clean, and that didn't work at all. I tried a heavy paste wax on it that was a little better. I then tried graphite and that was somewhat better. Then I tried some STOS and the ram smoothed out and started to run very smooth. After applying the STOS and running a couple hundred shells with no jams I re-installed the tube and ran some hand feeding it into the tube. It was working fine so I finally put the hopper on and it is all working fine now.

One other thing I found is one piece of shot on top of the sizing post will cause the shell to rock and will cause a jam in the sizing dye. So keeping the loader clean and clear of loose shot seems to be very important.

The timing and travel of the ram I found is another key issue with it. If the ram over travels or under travels you're in for problems. The easiest way I found to set that is to run the machine to the top of the stroke and adjust the ram so that it stops right exactly at the edge of the seating post, so that the shell just drops on. If you go to far in with the ram it will cause the shell to cock over toward the rear of the machine causing a jam. Also equally as bad is not having the ram travel far enough to seat properly on the ram again causing the same problem.

I hope my trials and experiences with getting mine going might make it easier for someone else trying to set one up in the future.

Vern

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"<I>On my old 800 I inclined the primer tray to a steeper angle. No more primer feed problems.</I>"</blockquote>That's also one of the things that keeps PW selling replacement chutes/trays.

Keller

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Sprintbender has overcome some issues I had with my Patriot. The shell feeder worked perfect, but somehow he does not have shot flying and powder residue all over the place going so fast. I found I had to pause at the bottom of the stroke, or the carriage was coming up too fast causing significant powder "junk" on all over my machine and a few pieces of shot flying from time to time. Never had an issue with hull feeder, but I lubed mine also, and they are fabulous when functioning happy. Have to watch the top of shell feeder (or in my case I could hear if something did not feed), as an occasional hull would be just long enough to hang.

My other problem which seems to be working for him was drop charge weight. I attributed my wild fluctuations to the aluminum slides that control the no drop feature. I was all over the map on powder, which I did not run max charge so only a nuisance. The holes in my aluminum slides appeared to be hacked in by my youngest son? They were beveled odd, and certainly could not have been done by a machine. My shot was dropping from 495 to 520 grains. Why I have no idea, but it certainly caused me concern. I have two RCBS and one old beam scale, I doubted myself so much with that rig.

Great looking setup, and I hope he enjoys it. I know the shell feeder from an ease of loading and speed is just terrific. The bouncing primer tray and tapper are fabulous ideas at fixing the primer feed, but just does not get it done at all. Vibrator is the way to go, problem solved. I don't care how much slick'em you put on the PW tray, it is never happy. An occasional manual tap gets them flowing again to be honest.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The secret to getting the Auto-Drive to run smooth is to operate it in the CCW direction. The Auto-Drive will operate in either direction but it will be much smoother if you operate it in the counter clockwise direction (viewed from the right side).

Ponsness/Warren does not specify which direction to operate it.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to Bruce:<BR>
    -------------------------------------------------------------<BR>
    Bruce,<BR>

One of my customers was having a problem with his 800 Plus and the AutoDrive. His shells were hard to eject from the loader and shot was jumping out when the shell was ejected. He was operating the AutoDrive in the clockwise direction when viewed from the right side. His problem went away when I had him operate the AutoDrive in the counter clockwise direction.<BR><BR>

Operating in the counter clockwise direction increases the force and decreases the speed (about 60% for both) of the loader just as the shell is being ejected compared to operating in the clockwise direction. Your AutoDrive instructions do not say which direction to operate the AutoDrive.<BR><BR>

Most of your videos show the AutoDrive operating in the counter clockwise direction.<BR><BR>

I believe the direction issue should be addressed in your instructions.<BR><BR>

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Once you get this set up tuned it will load like fine tuned watch. I love mine and wouldn't
    Have anything else.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info concerning the shell feeder. I'll keep tweaking.

14. soup

soup Member

Reloaders ,

I don't think that anything could slicker than what Vern has displayed . All of us know of the infamous PW primer issues , Whiz has a vibrator , and a couple of fellows have generously shown baffles they designed , add those two items the primer hang up is gone .

I think Verns main problem in the future will be STAYING AWAKE !!

Thanks to you and all the other folks that have shared information on the site.

Good Shooting

Bill

15. soup

soup Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.