1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Video of man trying to blow up shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Pretty interesting..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laX3H08TuMk

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Interesting looking 870.

To me the barrel appears to be an 870 step rib over bored barrel. This might make it a little easier to move the 20 gauge round down the .745 inch tube until it got to .729 inch end. Also, I wonder if the 20 gauge round detonated?

At least in this one test, it looks like that particular 870 barrel is strong.

I would not like to try that while hunting or any time.

Ed Ward

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Remington Arms..provided for a safety class.. a 870 pump being blown up with a 20 gauge shell in a forcing cone with a 12 gauge shell pushing it..I would not try it.. I think the guy was lucky...
    If you read some of P.O. Ackley's testing.. he pushed many actions to destruction.. At best.. it does the gun no good.. A few of these.. and somewhere down the road..when a barrel gives out.. someone will scream.. BAD RELOAD...or manufacturers defect...

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/laX3H08TuMk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/laX3H08TuMk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here it's easy now....

5. BMC

BMC Member

I would have swore it would have done more damage to the gun than that. Interesting.

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Boys, if the barrel is obstructed, the very best place to have the obstruction is right at the end of the chamber....as this one was.

If an obstruction of similar weight was 10" bown the bore, it would have been a different story.

7. TFC

TFC TS Member

Barfin, If you watch the slo-mo part carefully you will see that the action does'nt open until after the rounds clear the bbl when the gun jumps from the recoil. The shell ejects but no venting of gasses from the breech.

Regards, TFC

8. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

hate to see a 'nice' 870 treated that way - you'd think they would have used an express. I will admit that stepped rib and nice wood looked good in the video.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Just like every other redneck gunsmith and most other gunsmiths who are not rednecks, he doesn't own a bore micrometer or know where to buy one or how much one costs. He is also not the least bit interested in whether the 20 gauge shell detonates, whether it reaches the target as an unfired shell or any other more important pieces of information except "Thuee shutgen dint blowe upp" I guess I shouldn't be so hard on him. He is probably a nice guy, but not much of a researcher or engineer. I'm sure a 20 gauge shell would pass just fine through any .745 barrel with a long forcing cone. All the rest of the story could have been told with very little additional effort.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

eightbore, you a K-80 owner? Just kidden. You sound a bit jealous of that remington though.

11. eightbore

I just know that redneck gunsmiths don't own choke gauges and pushing a 20 gauge shell out of a big 12 gauge barrel without damage has been done many times. By the way, I don't need a K-80 since my 43 year old K-32 is still running strong. Why couldn't this fellow have told us something about the dimensions of the barrel and whether the 20 gauge shell discharged.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

While I admit that a general visual inspection of a firearm after such an event is a little lacking in detail. It's still very impressive that there was no catastrauphic failure.

I'd love to do a little bit of NDT to that gun just to see if there are any issues that aren't readily apparent.

I wonder if he has shot the gun since?

ss

13. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I have a problem understanding his point in making this video. I couldn't believe he was using a step rib trap barrel to start with but then if it was a big bore it makes sense depending on the motive. Was he trying to prove that 20 in a 12 is just a myth and it's ok to do this? I'd like to see the muzzle, he never looked at that or showed it that I saw.

I wonder how long it will be until there is a u-tube video where some punksters pull a prank on their buddy by slipping a 20 in his 12 just to see him get hit with the massive recoil? That's just one of the things that I think makes this irresponsible to show. I'm sure I'm not the only gunsmith that's seen a 20 blow up a 12 with just luck no one getting hurt badly.

14. eightbore

I just sold a nice Parker that was blown up at the forcing cone because of a 20 gauge shell in there. In many shotguns, just a wad in the barrel will cause a blowup, especially if the wad is half way up the barrel. I have one of those also. In other guns, even the 20 gauge shell won't cause any problem. This fellow didn't really prove anything new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 gauge 12 gauge blow up