1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Video of Better Shotmaker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JWS, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWS

JWS Member

I have said before I am not good at making videos of how my shotmaker works.
    A very satisfied fella has sent me this video. I hope you all like it. Just go to the link below (you may have to type it in). The clip is short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjdHWLi5mNk

Shotmaker-James Stewart 256-587-0107

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

this should work better...

james i delivered you a good supply of wheel weights over the last several months and enjoyed the time spent...i dont have the time to keep looking for the weights now..

bill

3. JWS

JWS Member

Bill:
    Thanks for all you have done for me. I really appreciate it and miss our visits too. James

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

if you search around scottk here on TS made some great videos

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Nice video!

However, having cast bullets for eons, I would caution anybody that wants to attempt working with hot lead to NEVER, NEVER, EVER do this without at least wearing safety glasses! A long sleeve shirt would be a minimum, too! Lead burns - which are always 3rd degree burns - are very painful and get infected very easily. Believe me, I know from first hand experience.

Kiv

6. plinker611

plinker611 Member

nice video,what coolant is he useing,mark

7. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

WHY LOOK AT THE HEAD ON THAT GUY!!!!!!

how are ya doing Jim?

Tony Fortino

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Would you show the finished product?? Thanks,Dennis.

9. mt92

mt92 Member

I have that setup except my coolant tank is continous flow and you can drain the shot as you go. I agree hands down the best shotmaker out there. Mine drips about 105-110lbs/hr of good shot. The first time I shot with my homemade shot guys at the club where cutting my shells open to look at it. They all though it loked factory and did not believe it till one of them came to my shop and watched it run.

Up for the better shotmaker.

Thanks
    Mike

10. JWS

JWS Member

This is not my video. It is another fellas video using my machine. I thought it was pretty good.I think he is using either Sun Liquid Laundry Detergent or Crop Oil but don't quote me for a coolant.

KIV-C:In regard to how the person in the video is dressed: my instruction manual gives all of the safety precautions to take when making shot. Everyone is their own keeper when it comes to safety. I have been making shot for 40+ years now and have never been burned by molten lead anywhere on my body. If you don't drop an ingot into the ladle, it won't splash on you. If you have your face so close to the ladle that you have gotten burned in the face, then you were too close. Its up to the individual to use common sense. I am not a safety inspector or the safety police.
    James Stewart

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What would a setup cost like this? I'm looking for a total cost.

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

If I just could find the lead I would have 1 of these!!

Jerry

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=201209

Heres some good videos

14. JWS

JWS Member

Rich219:
    Your total set up cost is determined by how big a drop pan/tank you want for your shot to drop into the coolant and that determines how much coolant you need also.
    The drop tank needs to be at least 7 inches deep. A lot of fellas are using a 50 cal ammo can for the drop tank with a french fry basket with window screen wire lining the basket. The shot machine can run you anywhere from $375.00 to $995.00 plus shipping is anywhere from $25.00 to $45.00. Give me a call at 256-587-0107.
    I do not sell the drop tank- cost prohibitive to ship but I have a drawing I can send you if you want to have one made. If I sell one of these drop tanks the person has to be able to come pick it up from my shop.
    James Stewart- Shotmaker

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Does the depth of the drop tank affect quality/roundness of the shot? How round is the shot from these usually?

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It was avery good video despite that it was way too short and lacked details. James, at those prices you have to be making a nice gross and should be able to make a long run video without giving away any secrets. In fact, I think it's an obligation when you're asking the public to part with that kind of money.

17. JWS

JWS Member

Dave P:

I did not make the video, did not ask the fella to make a video for me, and I don't have the capability to make a video. Making shot is an individual desire and all set-ups are different. No one uses the same coolant. Everyone wants factory like shot and my machine will do that if you feed it good clean car wheel weights for the lead. When individuals start mixing alot of soft lead with very little car wheel weights they get junk for shot and clog the drippers up till they quit running. I have also noticed that alot of people are reselling my machine (for whatever reason). I would like to know (for my record) who they sell to so I can update my records. I stand behind my customer service to anyone who has one of my machines. There are many home made look a likes out there too.

So, if you would like a longer video be my guest and make one of your own. I'm not in the video business as I said above.

Rich 219:

As I said above my machine will make just as good hard shot as factory. Open a bag of factory shot and check out the roundness and size that is in there. I have been told that those using antifreeze for their coolant put up with a dimple (the target doesn't shout back it isn't round) in the shot or a tail on the shot. I don't use antifreeze for my coolant.
    Shotmaker- James Stewart

18. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

OK I read it all and to the fellow who wants a better longer video, let me tell you that IT IS NOT NECESSARY! I have a Better Shot Maker and have made over a 55gal drum of shot. I can honestly testify that if you set up as Mr. Steart says it is as simple as turn it on, wait about 20 minutes for warm up, and watch shot run out the front. No black magic, no tricks, no special knowledgd required. I have made a grader from a McMaster Carr mesh screen for 7.8 and 8 shot and use them to get the "buggers" (miss shapen shot out) and the weight to total ratio is less than 1%. AND unlike some other makers of machines, if you need a question answered, a phone call is all it takes and you WILL get Jim on the phone! I am definitely not Jim Stewart but if you have more questions I will accept e-mails and help as I can with what I have in my shop.

One satisfied customer
    Jim Porter

19. JWS

JWS Member

Jim Porter:
    Glad to hear you are satisfied with your machine. Yes, I will answer my telephone or my email. My competitor is only interested in selling his machines. I'm not sure that he has ever made his own shot.

Rick Barker:

So what you are really saying is: The lip of the machine is still 1/4 inch from top of your coolant, you just made the depth of your drop pan shorter. I do recommend that you have at least 7 inches deep for the drop pan. No one has ever told me that deeper was a problem.

Shotmaker-James Stewart

20. JWS

JWS Member

^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.