1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vic Reinders info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by franko, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franko

franko Member

Hey old timers. Mr. Reinders wrote a column for T&F for years and was one of the very best shooters ever.

Does anyone know if any of his writings were ever published in book form?

A good many years ago, he had an article in Field & Stream (I think) that had some of the best instruction I've ever seen for beginners. Unfortunately, my copy is lost.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Frank O'Brien

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a ton of F&S mags from the 30's, 40's & 50's.

If you have some idea of when the article was published I will try to find it for you.

HM

3. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Was it Reinders or Reindeers? Not being funny. Just want to make sure I got the spelling correct. Shot a Rem 31 TC didn`t he. I thought they were just beautiful guns.

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

He did indeed shoot a Remington Model 31 for everything , including doubles. The gun now resides in the Hall of Fame Museum at Vandalia. By the mid 1970s he had recored the one and a half MILLIONTH shell through it! He held a PHD in Chemistry and was a college Chemistry professor at the University of Wis. He escaped serious injury(or worse) when some commie anti war whackos set of a bomb at the University. He was named to more All American teams than any other shooter and was among the winners of the Grand's coveted Clay Target Championship.He was two time doubles champion at the Grand, and won 47 Wis. state titles during his carrer. He was the inventor of the ATA pocket score card. He had a huge shell collection which he donated to the ATA museum. He was inducted into the ATA hall of fame in 1974.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

And, Vic did not believe in cleaning his gun. The M-31 looked a bit worn when I saw it. He told me that it worked well without cleaning for over a million shells. I offered him some duck tape to tighten the gun up a little.

Pat Ireland

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

When I last shot with vic in about 1998 in either Muskego, WI, he was still using his Model 31 with part of the rib near the muzzle, still missing. He was an interesting guy to talk to.

It was Sterling Hall that was blown up in the early 1960s I believe, at the University of Wisconsin.

Rollin

7. franko

franko Member

Many thanks to all.

I'm guessing the Field and Stram article would have been in the late 70's or the 80's.

I may try the Hall of Fame and see if they have anything.

Does anyone know if any of his family are still around?

Frank

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

An anthology of Vic's Views articles from T&F would be a big seller and if sponsored and sold by the HOF would raise some scholarship money - a project that Vic would have approved.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Here is my own personal Vic Reinder's story.

It was my first year of registered trap, and the first year that I shot at the Iowa State Shoot.

I had signed up for doubles and when I and a friend of mine walked out to the line, there was this old guy with a pump gun.

I said to my friend, I wonder what the hell that old guy is going to do with that thing.

Well, as you have guessed, that old guy was Vic, and that old thing was his Model 31 Remington.

You might say it was a humbling day for me. Vic proceeded to break 97/100 to win the out of state doubles that day. He really could shoot that "thing".

Since then, I've come to realize that it doesn't pay to make any kind of judgements on what people shoot.

It was a good lesson that Vic taught me that day.

Hauxfan!

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Rich??? I never said I was rich.

I said I have piles.

You just thought I was talking about money......

Try to pay attention when I'm talking, will you? lol

Hauxfan!

11. kolar12

kolar12 Member

He always wrote down everything in a small note book. When he shot, what his score was and who he beat in a shoot off.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

He also kept a small notebook with jokes he liked to read to others. He shot much better than he told jokes.

Pat Ireland

13. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

So true about the $$ modern guns, modern cars. Give me a Model 12 or a 31 C and a `54 chevy, I could work on myself. I know that we have it better than ever, my advancing age remembers the good times and has forgotten the inconveniences of old. Gas at $2.69/gal today is about the same as gas at .29/gal 1961. Hope ole Vic is beating the pants off Saint Peter at the big trap club.!!

14. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I did not know Mr. Reinders very well but he carried a note book in his back pocket and new exactly how many shells he had shot in his 31. He kept track of the 209s he purchased.

Joe Woods/Ontario

15. Saddletramp

Saddletramp TS Member

Vic Reinders was indeed a fine gentleman as well as a character. I admired him greatly. His lifetime average on singles was unsurpassed for many years but, as he grew older, he did not quit shooting to protect this average.

At the Grand one year I was sitting next to him in the EC room. He had his Model 31 Remington with him and as I was "admiring" it he said "Run your fingers down the barrel". I did so and when I looked quisically at him he said. "Feel the bulge?". Indeed there was a bulge near the muzzle. He did not know what caused the bulge, or when happened, but it had not affected his shooting so he did nothing about it.

Trapshooting suffered a great loss when Vic died. There will not be another like him.

16. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Victor,

More importantly...I wonder what he would have said about shooting with the esteemed Rollin Oswald in 1998...one year after his passing.

17. Janet

Janet TS Member

I once asked Vic, "what is your best advice on shooting a target?" He replied immediately with "Don't Think". Great advice still today.

Janet CJ

18. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Is it not amazing how everything pertaining to Wisconsin revolves around WGC? Darien, Vic? Although Vic was a fine marksman and a very intelligent person, where do you think all of the WGC issues started? The Club inherited most of the good and bad from Vic. I believe that he was the president of WGC and either the ATA deligate or president of the WTA at the same time! How do you think those discusions went!

Until we all develop a positive attitude about trapshooting in Wisconsin, we are doomed to failure. Sorry, Vic. Some of us tried.

19. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

That was a good one Buzzgun, the first time I have laughed out loud this week! I'm sure Rollin just made a mistake about the year however in his defense.

Don

20. virg

virg Member

Just a note on Vic,,On one of the first posts it mentioned that Vic taught at the Univerity and escaped injury when they blew up the Army Math Researsh Lab, the main reason that Vic wasn't injured is that the Research center was at the UW in Madison and Vic taught at the Milwaukee campus, [not even sure it was a UW campus or not} about 80 miles away from UW Madison.
    Everyone has their own opinion of Vic, personally I enjoyed the few one on one conversations I had with him.
    Virgil Bomkamp, WTA Director

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vic reinders

vic reinders trap
vvvvic reinders wisconsin trapshooting