1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vets & Sr. Vets ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What are the most amount of targets you can shoot in a two day shoot & still feel competitive. Shot 300 on Sat & after the first 100 on Sun,I fell apart shooting the second 100 (caps). Looks like I have to place a 200 limit on the first day & a 100 limit on the second day. I'm 67--boy it really sux to get old but it sure beats the alternative.

Phil Berkowitz

2. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Phil,I'm also 67;a AA skeet shooter(150,000+liftime targets) though I shoot some trap and sporting.I've found in the last year that 200 targets is it for me.

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Phil,
    I just turned 67 myself. I can go 200 a day with no problems. But to go
    300 I find I have to drink alot of liquids and exercise a number of
    days prior to the shoot. Last weekend did 200 at Stockton and could have
    shot doubles, but it was really hot!!! I drank 4 bottles of vitamin water
    (60 oz) and it really helps me.
    BUT, I can feel myself slowing down. Also a day before a shoot, I'll pop
    a 100 rounds at my wall chart. That helps also.
    Oh, one last thing, I've found I can't eat a big breakfast or lunch while
    shooting. Makes me tired. So these are the golden years??????
    Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not limit myself, the more targets the better. I am 66 and exercise by frequently getting out of my office chair to get coffee. I do consume a lot of vegetables, especially tobacco.

Pat Ireland

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Iam about to turn 76.

Saturday and Sunday ... 200 birds each day is OK for me, throw in a 300 day on Sunday ... and Monday I am useless (everything hurts or creaks).

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You are only as old as your mind thinks you are. Some of us refuse to give in to age and time. I am fortunate to have the health to shoot all the targets whomever will throw and still do it fairly competitively. I just shot the entire IN state shoot 1200 targets, drove home(4 1/2 hrs) and am at work at 7am. The week before I did the entire MI state shoot. I am not saying this to brag but to let those out there wondering if it can be done. I am not the only one but there are many who do this and that is why the Vet. and Sr. Vet are two very tough competitive groups. I will be shooting the entire 2 weeks of the Grand and another member of our squad will be 76 I believe.

So don't automatically sit down just because the calender says so.

By the way I just turned 70 and joined the Sr. Vets.

Don

7. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I'm 66 years young and just shot every singles and handicap event at the Indiana State shoot over a six day period. While I saw older shooters than me who seemed to have the energy for everything that I did plus doubles, it turned out to be more than I could really enjoy. 200 hundred birds a day sounds about right, and having a way to get out of the sun and relax wouldn't hurt either. It's either buy a motor home and a golf cart, settle for a canopy and a comfortable lawn chair, or just do the 200 birds.

8. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I'll be turning 74 on November the 7th and I have no problem shooting 300 a day. I will be shooting every event at the grand including the champions of champions. Hope to have a few shoot off targets thrown in also.

I shoot a K-80 Trap Special that has a Phil Simm's Pro-Soft stock, and even with a collapsed disc in my back this stock let's me shoot all I want. I also stay in good shape following my six bird dogs.

Tom Strunk

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh,starting to feel like I'm ready for the glue factory--I shoot on a regular basis with an 87 year old, who the handicap event @ one of our big state sanctioned shoots---he shoots so darn fast I have to get in high gear to keep up with this shooting machine -his name is JC Nunn AKA "The Tail Gunner"

Phil Berkowitz

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The heat factor plays an important role. At the Sparta Grand with temps usually 90 + I see some of the younger shooters and vets both struggle. I try to work out 4 to 5 days a week on the various weight machines etc. I can shoot 200 a day without a drop down in performance. It is extremely important to consume a lot of fluid to keep hydrated when pushing yourself near the limit. I am 76-- Clyde Doll

11. Maurice

Maurice Member

I am 77 and will be 78 next month, I limit my shooting to 200 targets a day and I am very competitive. I work out with weights four mornings a week and have just started using a Inversion Table to reduce the effects of a herniated disc caused by ( many years ago ) an awkward parachute landing and two motorcycle accidents which have made walking a little difficult. The Golden Years are still great. I never grumble about getting old as it is a privilege denied to many and it is much better than the alternative. Shoot well my friends. Maurice ( The Brit. )

12. JEB

JEB Active Member

I will be a Senior Vet in February. 300 in a day is ok, even a few more. But hot and humid days are certainly more trying. I'll never forget the Grand a few years ago. I watched kids drop. Hydration well before the event starts and during the event helps.

John Bergman

13. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I will be 78 Oct 1, I still shoot 300 per day and more if they will shoot more dbls. but then again I just like to shoot. Leaving Sunday to go to the Iowa State Shoot and really looking forward too it, as it is the best run shoot in the country.
    Bob Roberts San Antonio, Tx

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

To the REbel-it would be a pleasure & a privelege to have the chance to buy you coffee one fine morning, by the way where is Carney?

Phil Berkowitz

15. Gil

Gil Member

Phil, I am 73 and the factors controlling whether or not I shoot 300/day are the importance of the targets and the weather. Hot and humid probably 200 only. I have found that if I shoot a lot for 3 or 4 days I usually get better as the days go along. More than 4 days I run out of gas. Your question is good but the number of targets shot are controlled by more that just age. George Miller

16. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

geo how have you been, bill kelly synepuxent trap club 76 years young and still shooting 200 is my max ou monday is hell

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

66here.Plan on shooting a 500 rock marathon Sat. Supposed to be 93 and humid. Sun. will be a 300 target regular program. We'll see what happens.

Steve

18. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I am looking for the email addresses of all the Vet/Sr. Vet All Americans. Can anyone help me with some? Send to above address. I need to notify them BEFORE the Grand, so time is short. Thanks a bunch...Karla

19. jbshep

jbshep Member

Here's my email. I'm 72 and have a hard time with the last 25 of the first 100. Arthritis in my upper back is the culprit. Can't get through without doping up on aspirin or NSAID's. Maybe a brace would help.

20. jbshep

jbshep Member

Here's my email. I'm 72 and have a hard time with the last 25 of the first 100. Arthritis in my upper back is the culprit. Can't get through without doping up on aspirin or NSAID's. Maybe a brace would help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.