1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vets able to Salute

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

This just came across the wire...

November 25, 2008
    08-59

New law authorizes veterans’ salutes during national anthem

A new law took effect this month that allows veterans and active-duty military not in uniform to render a military-style hand salute during the national anthem.

The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem.  Last year’s provision also applied to members of the armed forces while not in uniform.

“The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have served in our nation’s armed forces,” Secretary of Veterans Affairs James B. Peake said in a press release. “This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our nation’s flag.”

Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while wearing their organization’s official head-gear. 

The most recent change, authorizing hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel, was sponsored by Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, an Army veteran.  It was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14. 

The earlier provision authorizing hand-salutes for veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, was contained in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008.

2. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Blade,

I have to reply to this one. As you say, the new provision authorized veterans to render the military hand salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. However, where do you / (we) face as our National Anthem is being played? You got it - toward the American Flag. Therefore, saluting the playing of the National Anthem was authorized by US Code Title 4, Chapter 1 which came into effect 25 July 2007. That was applicable for veterans not in uniform, indoors or out, covered or uncovered. So salute. We earned that right. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Oklahoma) proposed the bill that gave it to us. Should someone question that right, I will carefully explain how we earned that right to them.

Respectfully,
    CSM Jon Reitz (Ret)

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a vet and I always have and always will salut the flag, I feel I earned the right also

Lou M USMC 1962 -1969

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cuban: No Marine ever saluted without a cover attached to his gourd. At least, that was what I was taught in the greem machine.

USMC 1963-1967

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I needed a law to allow me to salute the flag? I must be a rebel.
    Mike
    USAF '72 - '76

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Shot410ga and Cubancigar2000,

I go covered all the time in my daily life. Now, it will feel strange not uncovering for the Flag and/or the National Anthem but even stranger saluting uncovered. I am not some doggie and I don't think I can salute uncovered. Maybe I'll have to be more diligent about carrying so I will at least be "under arms."

HBT

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Does the salute apply to the Pledge also?

8. Surferboy

Surferboy Member

If I see a flag, near or far, I salute it (sadly, there are fewer around these days). Always lived by my own rules of flag etiquette, pretty much. I go by what's accepted as proper for displaying the flag, but when a flag gets worn I retire it inside somewhere. I can't allow a stranger to burn one of my flags after long service.

When I feel a patriotic stiring, which is often - like even a fly-over, I salute.

Steve RA16858120, 11Echo '66-'71

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Veterans and out of uniform military members may not salute the passing/raising flag and during the national anthem. See below:

From the U.S. Navy Cruiser Sailors Association Winter 2009 publication Vol. 18 No. 1 page 22

New Law Allows Veterans’ Salutes during Anthem

Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, thanks to changes in federal law that took effect in October.

“The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have served in our nations amend forces,” said Dr. James B. Peake, secretary of veterans affairs. “This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our nation’s flag.”

The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. Last year’s provision also applied to service members while not in uniform.

Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while wearing their organization’s official head gear.

The most recent change, authorizing hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out of uniform military personnel, was sponsored by Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, an Army veteran. It was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed Oct. 14.

The earlier provision authorizing hand-salutes for veterans and out-of-uniform service members during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, was contained in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008 (courtesy of VA News).

Submitted by Secretary Bill Sperberg and has appeared in an earlier edition.

10. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You expect them to know and respect the flag???? It's just a piece of cloth to them.

Don

12. TjayE

TjayE Member

Looks like defacing the flag. Is this a Federal offense? USN veteran Tom

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

and what would we expect from that type of trash?

Curt RA13893398 '65-'68

14. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Maybe I should post THAT picture instead of the "distress" flag I used.

I wonder if the "commander in chief" will salute when he sees the flag. Maybe he will salute only the flag with his picture on it.

[​IMG]

From obama's elction handbook, "The 48 Laws oF Power"

Law 34: Be Royal in your Own Fashion: Act like a King to be treated like one.

Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

15. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

Other than rules that involve lying, cheating, stealing, purposefully or recklessly harming another and any other act that is or should be treated as criminal (most of which we have all understood and appreciated since we were 5 years old), I am not very interested in what my government says I can or cannot do. Anything not prohibited by the Constitution or statutory law firmly based upon natural law, is, to my mind, permissible as an incident of my liberty.The Constitution, the supreme law of our land, does not tell me what I can and cannot do, it proscribes what my government can and cannot do. I don't believe that I particularly need anyone's consent to render a hand salute. As others have stated above, I have will do it anyway as a sign of my undying respect for these symbolss of our great nation.I earned that right by my service in her defense. As for the military protocol, I followed them while I was serving as an incident of my oath to obey the orders of those under whose direction I served. As a civilian, I am not subject to those rules any longer and will act as my conscience directs. On another note,I still can't believe that we just elected a commander in chief who apparently does not share my feelings of respect and obligation to our flag and the anthem sung in praise it and the land it represents.It's just too, too sad for words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.