1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Veteran catagory

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I turned 65 the middle of last summer so I could declare Veteran if I wanted but as of yet I haven't. My singles average tends to teeter between B class and A class and altho' I haven't really crunched the numbers my feeling is that normally I'd have a better chance of winning a class trophy in "B" than I would of winning a trophy in "Veteran", if they put me in "A" class maybe I'd have a better chance of taking home a trophy by declaring "Veteran"? Seems to me that Veteran catagory was designed to keep the older BETTER shooters in the game but doesn't do much for the "B" and under shooters? Now I don't have a problem with that, just wondering what ya'lls thoughts are on declaring "Veteran" vs not declaring and just continuing to shoot for class?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

John,

Declaring a category gives you the opportunity to win that categories' trophy, an opportunity you otherwise would not have.

When competing for ATA-provided trophies, such as at your state shoot or the ATA Zone shoot, you are "locked in" to taking a category trophy <i>if</i> you qualify for it. Otherwise, you are still eligible for a class, yardage, or place trophy.

The "down side" is that if you qualify for your category trophy, you can't take a class, yardage, or place trophy (you can still take a Champion trophy, though.)

You have to decide which is more important to you.

At smaller shoots the above rules don't necessarily have to apply, but most shoots probably follow the ATA-trophy fall back rule.

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have the same problem in Sub-Vet. It is better to shoot class than sub- vet with all the AA and A shooters, I would be shooting B and C class against them.

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

One thing you will find out about the "Veteran" class is that there are a lot of AAA and AA shooters in that class -- so if you cannot shoot a 98 to 100, then you better stay out of it if you can.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thanks for the prompt reply V10, and another question. "....IF you qualify for it.", does that mean if you tie for a catagory win and then maybe lose in the shootoff or only if you actually win the trophy? I suppose what I'm asking is.........let's say you're tied for "Vet" and lone high score in "B" class, if you lose the shootoff for the Veteran trophy do you automatically fall back to the B class trophy?

6. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Cowboy, no, if you quality for vet. and lose the shoot-off, you are done, except you can fall back to Chamption.
    Norman

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

and thank you other guys for your input too and thanks in advance for other replies.

Just reading the results for a relatively small shoot I was planning to attend but didn't get there, a fellow I know that's been declaring "Veteran" for a couple of years tied for Veteran with a 92 in singles and then lost the shootoff, B class was won by a different guy with a 90. Now I don't know where they had my friend classified but assuming it was "B" class (he's a "B" kind'a shooter) he would've won a trophy if he had not declared "Veteran".

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

For smaller shoots I always declare the vet catagory............large shoots I will never declare the vet catagory for the reasons mentioned above.

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

That's right Cowboy. To make it even more fun, assume that other B shooter with a 90 had also declared as a Vet, it would have worked out exactly the same way. Your friend and the other guy, both B Class, both declared Vet, guy with 92 gets nothing, guy with 90 wins B.

10. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

John It must be a N E Mt. thing. I am in the exact same situation as you. The last thing I won was an attendance pin, and I guess I paid for it.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

At the smaller shoots where there is no ATA trophies awarded Shoot Management can interpret this no fall back thing anyway they want to and I think there is a general misunderstanding of the rule anyway. I always declare Senior Vet but it can be pretty tough to beat some of these old guys.

12. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

In My "OPINION" and I will preface the following by saying I have the upmost respect for My Elders, Children, and Ladies, with that being said; I think if You declare a Category You should have to pay an extra entry fee for the extra chance at winning. I do not understand why Anyone should have an advantage with multiple chances to Win over Anyone else just because of their Age or Gender. AGAIN I would like to re-iterate the fact that I have all the respect in the World for My Elders, Children and Ladies who are competeing in Any contest.

Mark

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pretty soon 95% of the attending shooter's will be in the over 65 category.

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Yeah - I was gonna say won't be long and it won't make any difference hahahaha