1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

vet class

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Turned 65 late last year, will start shooting ATA targets in March, any advantage in shooting vet class ?
    Also looking through the rule book and some of the scores in Trap & Field I need to ask are there different classifications in Vet, (AA, A, B, C, D ) or are Vets all competing against each other with no classificaiton? T&F only lists the winner in Vet class but lists all the other winners in in AA-D.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The toughest shooters are Vets. Good luck.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It's all one class,jbmi. At most shoots it's a at least a moderate (sometimes more) advantage to declare you are a vet, but you can do that on a shoot-by-shoot basis. I always do. I recommend you do as well.

Neil

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

jbmi, Vet & Sr. Vet are separate categories. At most State, Zone Shoots and at Satellite Grands and at the Grand there are separate trophies available for these categories. Larry

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

My opinion, based on the new rule, at larger shoots there is a disadvantage to declaring as a Vet unless you are at least a AA shooter. At the upcoming Southern Grand, a B shooter who has a great day and runs 100 in singles would probably be high in class B and tied with several others for Vet. If this shooter has declared as a Vet, he cannot take the class trophy and added money. He must shoot off for Vet against such shooters as Kay O.

The new rule is mandated for shoots with either All American points or ATA trophies, but many, perhaps most small shoots are planning to follow the rule.

Pat Ireland

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

You are right Pat, I won my yardage at the MO handicap with a 97 but because I had declared vet I had to forfeit that & shoot off for high vet. Never again will I declare vet catagory.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

hunter44- At the Dixie Grand a Vice President of the ATA did the same thing you did. I teased him quite a bit.

Pat Ireland

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

At least old is good for something.

Pat if you will put me in C or D like I ask I wouldn't declare vet.

Don

9. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Declare Vet, only if you feel you can compete with the best Vets at the shoot you are at.

10. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hunter 44 - I have to agree with you - why would a shooter elect to shoot as a Vet and loose all of his catagory and yardage possibilities?? the beav

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Once in awhile I learn something useful from TS.com. Thanks to the explanation and guidance in this thread! Really! Best Regards, Ed

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

In my situation all the new rule did was to cause an extra shoot off for vet champion & also the shooters who were second to me in my yardage class had to shoot off for that prize. If I had the choice I would have chosen the yardage & there would have been no shoot offs.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don- You do request that I classify you in C or D and tell me that your 97+ average is just an artifact. But I am actually investigating class R (rehabilitation)and class U (unique). You might fit somewhere. Some people are very difficult to classify, and this difficulty extends well beyond trap shoots.

Pat Ireland

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Just another problem with the ATA scoring system . Doesn`t leave much room for Amatures as myself and Thousands of other . Only possibility is the Lewis Class to break even . If your not the top of your game that day, and others fall flat , it`s just throwing lead and having some fun but giving that extra money to the best out there . Another reason for Fun Shoots at your local Trap Club . I reduced my ATA targets from 3,000+ to 600 . Didn`t look like much compared to others but it was what I could afford . I take my penalties but still pay what everyone else pays per event . Yes , I sometimes hit a Lewis and a trophy .

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

At a big shoot why would anyone declare for vet,lady, or senior vet & not have a chance of winning, class or yardage group. You pay the same money to enter, but I've never seen any added money for category winners. I may be wrong, but I think this rule should be returned to the way it was.

Phil Berkowitz

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- Just for clarification. A category shooter can win class and yardage trophies as long as he is not tied or wins the category. I, like you, believe this is a rule that does not favor shooters.

Pat Ireland

17. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat, as I understand the rule once you declare category you shoot for Category only. Jim

18. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Perga, you shoot for class or yardage as long as you don't win or tie in category, (assuming you've declared a category).

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Thanks, not that it affects me these days, I've got it now:

5. Any special category shooter whose score does not qualify for a
    trophy in his/her category, may compete for place, class or yardage
    group trophies.

20. WWB

WWB Member

Geez I am either getting to old & dumb to completely understand or its a really dumb rule......
    all of the above is true UNLESS "The Trophies are ATA???!!!" then you can only compete in your catagory--if you signed up for one.
    Also I can stay in Vet class til the end of this target yr [birthday in Nov], & the next year I can sign up for catagory--Senior Vet or Class AA & go back & forth--I just cannot ever go back to Vet class. Now is that correct??
    Thanks guys
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.