1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vests, which ones are good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Hi All,

Just wondered (not that it really matters) what vests are out there and what are the better ones?

I have a Gander Guide Series that seems pretty good in the respect that it has multiple front pockets for shells, a vest pocket and more important, a large rear game pouch if you will, for empties.

The padding is a bit light though.

What are the features that you like?

What is better quality?

I saw a leather one from Hawkeye on meBay but have never seen another so it isnt a popular option

thanks in advance!

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have one from browning, 3 years holding up well, no tears or zipper malfunctions, I have one from shoot the moon custom vest for my wife. Very good

3. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Cabela's proprietary target shooting vests are good.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I liked 10-X vests, but they went out of business. I have now switched to Browning vests.

The most important thing about a shooting vest is to make sure the color of the vest matches your shirt and pants. Every morning when I am going to a shoot, somehow my vest, pants, shoes, socks, hat and shirt are laid out for me. The colors coordinate. I only wear a vest one time before it get washed. I have about 30 vests. I also have a wife. Everything I stated in this paragraph could be related.

Pat Ireland

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I wear a vest, I prefer a leather shooting patch... seems to hold up better over the long term. I like big single pockets, not divided pockets for my shells. If its got a pouch for empties - even better.

I've got bought Browning, but in the last few years I've bought a couple of Orvis branded (not Beretta) vests for clays and upland during their end-of-year sales. Their vest stay nice and during the sales, the price point is right for me...

Jay

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Looks like Pavillion & Wild Hare are now the same company. I have a Wild Hare vest which is fine (its dark blue and faded badly, though), and a cheaper ($40 on sale)Pavillion vest that I don't like as well...pad is too thick and the zipper is very sticky.

I hear the Browning vests are quite good for the money.

I also like the Browning apron very much, as I can get two boxes of shells in the pouch for doubles.

WNCRob

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat, loved the humor in the coordinating outfits. I have a pink vest and white shoes but refuse to wear the big Panama with the purple hat band. LOL. Mike

8. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

I really liked my Bob Allen. Wife bought it for my birthday this year for $110. Wore it for the second time this past weekend and both right side pockets had the seam separate at the stitching. Now she didn't keep the receipt. Easily sewn, but I hate products that are so expensive that don't hold up! BS!! I'll never buy their products again if this is how their made.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta top of the line womans vest, never worn size 10 blue with gold trim, still has extra snaps and hang tags in pocket. Has been in a plastic bag since I bought it for my wife. She just never wanted to wear it. Has the leather lined pockets and full international leather shoulder patch all the way to the pocket. Elastic wasteband. It is a real nice vest. email me if interested. This would fit a woman or youth

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Hammer....

Call Boyt/Bob Allen at (800) 550-2698 and talk with customer service. Ask for a "return authorization" and ship them the vest. If they can easily see its relatively new and not abused, I am sure they would make a replacement.

Jay

11. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I have several, all good, I prefer the Krieghoff, I use the Browning a lot, and have a Pavillion, and just bought a black Beretta vest, I may have three more around the house, plus a host of bird (dove, quail and pheasant) hunting vests guess I am a collector now.

Berettaman7

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hammer, I have three Bob Allen vests that I bought in the early 80's and they look like new after years of abuse and lots of times in the washing machine

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hammer, I'm with spitter - give'em a call. I've had two Bob Allens over the last 20 years. The oldest is serviceable and the newer (3 years and through Whiz White) is premo....breakemall....Bob Dodd

PS, come to think of it, I've only had 3 and all were/are Bob Allen vests. The original was bought in '73 and it DID go away - only because it seemed to shrink over the years (if you don't get that one you're too serious). The second and still serviceable dates back to very early 90s, the last just 3 yrs old....BD

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

BD- Have you noticed that vests seem to only shrink around the middle and not through th shoulders? How is that possible?

Pat Ireland

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pat, I've pondered that conundrum for years. I've finally determined, without a shadow of doubt, it's got something to do with hanging them on monday through friday during most weeks of the year. Hope that helps.....Bob Dodd

16. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Pat, I have the same problem, would poor quality control be to blame???

Berettaman7

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

OK, everybody take a deep breath... hold it! Now quickly zip your vest up. See no problem it fits. Oh, it is OK to breathe now. Fred

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Berettaman7i- I think you are right, it is a poor quality control problem. But, I am not certain if the quality control problem involves the vest or the person wearing the vest.

Pat Ireland

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It's the hanger, or at least the fact that the vest is hung; that's my position and I'm sticking to it. My uniforms used to do the same thing; really, it's the hanger....BD

20. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Why not a custom vest? Virtually ALL international shooters wear a custom vest - why is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.