1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

vest,pouch or shell holders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by comp 1, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

How many of you wear a vest vs. a pouch or shell holder attached to your belt? why?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I guess it's personal preference. I usually use a shell holder. In the fall when it gets cooler I sometimes wear a vest. In the summer I prefer to shoot in a T-shirt. Whatever works for you. Ed

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

4. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Box holder-KISS is what I live by(being as I am the 2nd S in the equation)

Larry

5. C50

C50 TS Member

Sheel pouch and T-Shirt in Summer, Shell Pouch and collar less jacket in Winter. Don't wear a vest at all.

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Vest and pouch for me.

Maybe some of you older West coast shooters can help me. I had a shell pouch for empties that was made from Suede leather. It had snaps for your belt and a zipper on bottom to empty shells..It came from a shooter that shot the Golden West Grand every year. I still have the matching shell bag.

It was taken in a theft I had several years ago. Would love to have another.

Anyone remember?

Gerald

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All of the above depending on the situation.

HM

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Box holder for trapshooting and a pouch for skeet & clays.

Jim C

9. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

I tried about every brand of vest out there - A vest, even mesh, is just too hot in the summer – AND I do not understand why vest makers are so hung up on black – I know black does not show the discoloration that a lighter color will show – but have any of you ever used a laser thermometer and looked at temperature difference between anything black and anything of a lighter color? Well I have - and you don’t even need a thermometer if it is on your back…………(black absorbs and lighter colors reflect) ……you can feel it.
    I use a box-holder and hull bag with a t-shirt in spring-summer-fall and go up from there as weather dictates.

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Overthehill, check out the above link. Is this what you need? There are several others out there also.

Best,
    Dennis

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Vests bound up in the winter from extra clothes, so I use a pouch year around. I use an undivided pouch and throw handfuls of shells into it. An "oldtimer" once suggested I stop worrying about how many shells I've shot or how many I've got left. I have a hull hamper for the empties.

Jay Spitz

12. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I used to like a vest. But, gets hot in summer, and in winter here in MA and NH it doesnt fit by the time I wear all the clothes. So, I now use a pouch. Small one for singles, large for doubles. Steve

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I had a tan colored vest wore a belt with a shell box and a small 50 round bag. The vest was big enough on me I could wear a jacket or even a heavy coat under it during the winter. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Shell box holder(s) and mesh pouch on belt in the spring,summer, Bob Allen shooting coat fall, winter. Tried vest but could not find one that fit well.

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Vest with belted split pouch (half loaded, half empties) in nice weather. In cold weather CJ shooting coat with big pockets and belted half/half pouch.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

No one has mentioned it, but when I shoot practice alone or with others I'm always more comfortable and less distracted knowning when it's time to change stations. A box holder is the easiest way to keep count when you as old as I am. A box holder with a detachable mesh bag gives you the option of saving hulls or not.

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Cabelas half vest the best of both worlds. Epically if you save your hulls and don't want the added bulk or extra layer of clothing. And you can clip your box holder on it also.

Rock

Jim

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Thanks pendennis for your reply. Not what I had but looks like good quality
    leather Gerald

19. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

I wore a vest for 20+ years and always thought that I couldn't shoot without it. This summer I decided to try shooting with a shell box holder and empty shell pouch as a temporary thing while the weather was hot (110+ in Phoenix).

I liked it so much that I'll never go back. I put my vest on last week and absolutely hated it.

I wear the shell box holder on the front left side and the hull bag on the right side behind the hip right over my wallet. My hull bag is one of the "short" divided pouches with the divider cut out. It'll hold 50+ empty hulls without any problems and doesn't hit me in the back of the knee like the mesh bags. To shoot doubles I simply add a second shell box holder. Everything rides on a Safariland nylon range belt with a velcro closure. Easy on, easy off and no buckle to scratch my shotgun.

Try it......you'll probably like it.

Len in PHoenix

Rich in Peoria: Do I know you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference in shooting vest an pouch
shell holder vests or holster
shooting vest does not have shell holders

shootingv est vs shell pouch

trap shooting pouch or vest
trap shooting vest & shell holders