1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Versalite wads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hi, I was wondering peoples thoughts on these wads. I have been using the downrange xl 1 1/8th wad. I wasnt that impressed with it but it did the job on the 20 yard line but at further distances the patterns get sporadic. I am using green dot powder and a cheddite primer. I am using 20 grains. I wanted know how everyone liked the versalite was and how much powder i would have to use to get a 1225 load?

2. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Red Versalite is a great wad. It's on my top ten list and it works well at longer distances. Check the loading data and you'll probably find you can substitute the Versalite in your load with little adjustment. You didn't say what hull you are loading, so I can't tell you for sure. A similar load in the STS hulls gets me right around 1225 - 1235 fps over my chronograph. You might have to bump it a half a grain or drop a half a grain, but be sure to check the data first, and if your load isn't listed, call Alliant. One of my favorite parking lot loads is 23.5 grains of Unique in the Remington hull with the CCI 209M primer, Red Versalite wad and 1 1/8 oz of good hard premium shot. That said, I'd also be sure that the shot you are using is up to snuff. Hard and round! It makes a difference. The other wad I like is the Federal 12S3 for 1 1/8 oz loads in straight walled hulls.

4. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Try a Blueduster wad and go to a real primer. tried Fiocchi primers once. They all went bang, but didn't like the way the targets broke. Just seemed different. Used em all for pheasant loads. Nothing but Win209 for target loads.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Excellent long range wad.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm no reloading guru but, have been reloading for a long time without issues and I recently have been reloading some for longer distance and higher speed. The load is pretty straight forward.

Remington STS/Nitro
    Green Dot (22gr.)
    Win. 209 - ? I guess a cheddit 209 would be ok ?
    Remington RXP Wads
    #7 1/2 Mag.
    Approx. 1250 f.p.s. and not excessive pressure, approx 9400 p.s.i.

Maybe the Remington wad is not floating your boat but, I've had good results with the RXP's and Fig. 8's, I havn't used the Cheddits, RIO's or Fiochi's primers yet. I don't see much data on them or I'm not looking in the right spot. Word on the street is that the Fiochi's are a good choice and reload like a Win 209. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Rem. hull, versalite, 21 grs. green dot, 1 1/8 oz. west coast mag. 7 1/2's, fio. primer gets you approx. 1220fps. and <9500psi. Will destroy anything.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

There are a few wads that I love, and this is in my list. I used to be in the reloading components business. I carried the full line of Downrange wads. The Versalite wad was in the top five sellers. It is a great Handicap wad, along with the 12S3, Fig8, and TGT12. At one time, Downrange was making a "high-end" version of this wad. It was the Versalite wad with even a higher quality plastic. I don't know if Kevin is still producing this wad or not, but I heard it was awesome!

Matt Woodson

9. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

DownRange did acquire the Versalite wad and improved it with the improved plastics. This wad is really versatile and can be used in many different hulls including some straight walled hulls. In my opinion it is one of the finest wads on the market but it really stands out when used for longer range HCP loads. My favorite is 19.5 gr of Green Dot, WW primer in an STS hull. Patterns are consistent and dense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
downrange versalite wads
versa wad
versalite wad
versalite wad load info

versalite wads

versalite wads load data

versalite wads reloading data

versalite wads substitute