1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Versa Max Camo Trap gun

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by brdslayr, Dec 28, 2016.

1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Bought a new Versa Max. First shot fired got me a mallard. Curious on how the 3 1/2 in shells pattered I took it to the range and started shooting paper. Horrible patterns with the .014 choke @ 40 yds. . Tried the .060 choke just for kicks and it was no improvement. Worst part is the gun shoots 90/10. 2 rounds of skeet confirmed that I can't live with it. Mediocre 1st round with poor chippy breaks(.014 choke) Second round I purposely aimed about 4-6 in low at everything and got the ink dots back. Went to trap and it shot great. No problem smoking targets at the 16 yard line(.014) choke. Remington says send it back for POI issue. Mid bead fell off during 1st half box. Will update with their fix. JW

Attached Files:

2. henrydog

henrydog Active Member

The 90/10 is freaking nuts. I have a Benelli Nova, that patterns tighter than heck with steel and loose as a goose with lead.

3. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

90/10 is crazy on a field gun. My two Remington 1100 field guns shoot almost dead 50/50 with whatever I put through them. I did have an 11-87 that patterned 12 inches above the aim point. Got rid of it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I have a friend who made his Benelli shoot very high. He is a deadly field shot with it!

5. DandyRandy

With the 11-87 I had if you aimed at a clay pigeon tacked to a piece of cardboard at 35 yards the bottom of the pattern was 12 full inches above the clay pigeon. What would you call that. 150/0

6. Carbine2k1

Carbine2k1 Member

Barrel must have had one heck of a bend. I don't think mine would shoot over 60% any day of the week.

7. Carbine2k1

Carbine2k1 Member

A friend of mine bought a Winchester sxp, I never patterned it.. but it shot high as a kite, right out of the box. I guess you could say my experience was pretty close to what you're dealing with on the versamax, definitely impractical for most in the field.

8. DandyRandy

Remington has had some issues at times with barrels and chokes. The choke threading could have been cut wrong or a number of things. That is not all that uncommon to have a poorly threaded barrel. Take several shotguns with screw in chokes. Take a pointed object and insert it down the barrel and feel for the edge were the barrel and back of the choke meet. Gently work your way around the rim. On a gun with poor threading or choke combination that rim can be real uneven. If the choke is not threaded true to the barrel that can cause the gun to shoot high, low, left, or right.

Carbine2k1 thanked this.
  9. brdslayr

Almost a month later and just got the gun back. The service center it went to got a replacement barrel from Remington. I asked how it patterned and they said they didn't know. Only test fired it. Well one weekend of hunting season left. Will give it a try and see.

10. Isu27

Isu27 Member

So they just put the barrel on and never tested it!

11. brdslayr

Yup. Test fired for function only. What a waste of time and money. Remington paid shipping twice on my gun. Once on the barrel they shipped to the service center. And then paid the service center to attach and test fire. Never knowing if the problem actually got fixed. Luckily for me the new barrel is shooting good, both at the range and hunting. But it would have been nice if they had just sent a new barrel to me then I could have gotten to hunt with it for more than one day before the season ended. At least its fixed.

12. rempremier

rempremier Member

Well I know your glad you have it squared away and it will now shoot where it is pointed!