1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Verizon vs Sprint coverage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skinnykid, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinnykid

skinnykid TS Member

I am thinking about switching from Verizon wireless phone to Sprint to save some money. Looking for input from the TS community as far as coverage in rural areas. Any feedback will be appreciated! Thanks, Dana

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had AT&T it sucked in rural NC--now Verizon sucks in Fl & my wife's AT&T phone is great---cell service is so spotty--the only way is to get local knowledge--ask people what works in their area.

Phil Berkowitz

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have found as I travel that Sprint is really pretty darn good- I sometimes get it in the middle of nowhere when no one elses cell phone is working.

They publish coverage maps if that is your thing

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I work for T-Mobile, and we absolutely ROCK the South West...(San Diego Area)..give us a try...(my G2 Smartphone down loads files faster than my home desktop)...LarryB

5. ink ball

ink ball Member

Depends entirely on where you live (and don't put a great deal of stock in the coverage maps). I had verizon for many years, but was lured away by Sprint's low prices. I put up with sprint for about 6 months, and then I gladly paid the early termination fee to get rid of it. The coverage in rural areas was poor, and even 20 miles outside of a metropolitan area (Omaha) was iffy. Calls would drop frequently even when in the city. Coverage along the interstate corridors seemed to be pretty good, for the most part. One thing that thoroughly irritated me was how the phone would hold on to even the slightest vestige of a Sprint tower signal rather than to roam on to something you could actually use. Many times I had to force the phone to roam to have a useful signal. And it wasn't just my phone, my wife's phone acted the same way. I travel to the Twin Cities on business occasionally. The phone seemed to work just fine when I was there. I advise you to talk with people in your area who have Sprint and see how it works for them.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Seems like Verizon has the majority of cnetral Indiana. I have had few complications with them. I have known a very few people who I work with that has AT&T and have overheard them complain about billing and coverage many times. I am completely satisfied with out Verizon accounts. I also like the ability to deal with the ACTUAL company store and not one of the "authorized vendors" who just want to sell contracts and equipment.

7. skinnykid

skinnykid TS Member

Thanks for the info! I have looked at the "coverage maps" on the companies websites, but I really don't trust their propaganda. I am looking for some real life testimonials on coverage. There must be a couple more trap shooters that use Sprint! Dana

8. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I am using Sprint in SE Michigan and through out the Northern half of the lower pensinula and it works fine. In the UP, coverage is spotty as is everyones. I only use voice and text, not into downloading, etc, so I can't comment on that aspect.

....Paul

9. daveship

daveship Member

i have had sprint for several years now...i travel extensively through the eastern corridor of the us and the midwest. i have used most of the major providers. it is the best coverage for a great price make sure you get an unlimited plan. if not, they will nickel and dime you to death.i am a happy sprint customer!!

10. skinnykid

skinnykid TS Member

Any others ??????

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have a sprint work phone and a verizon personal phone. I carry both and have traveled extensively over the eastern states and some western states to include Colorado and Wyoming and everything east of there.

I have found Sprint in a lot of areas to be very reliable along interstates and major state highways. Once I am 3 miles or more from a major highway or city, my experience is that Sprint is terrrible in most locations.

The one exception is extremely ruarl locations, there are definetly ruarl locations where Sprint dominates or Verizon dominates because there is not enough of a customer base to justify building and maintaing towers. So whatever company got there first is the only game in town.

I didn't see if you posted where you live, are you east of the Mississippi? There are places on I-70, I-80 and I-90 where my verizon is a paperweight...

All depends on where you live and where you will be using the phone the most...

Living in Indiana and traveling all over the state to include frequent trips to Chicago and all around from Eastern PA, down to Brunswick, and Ft. Benning, GA... I hate sprint.

I live in central indiana and can't a flipping sprint signal for my work phone in the house. I get a ring and then have to run outside to keep from losing the call. Sprint told me about the customer base thing and that I am in a fringe coverage area with bleed off from some interstate tower and that she was actually amazed that my phone even rang inside....

12. skinnykid

skinnykid TS Member

Noknock1, I live in upstate New York. I too am located on the fringe of Sprints
    coverage network map. My Verizon service is very good throughout the state.
    I don't want to switch to save a couple of bucks if my phone becomes a "paperweight"! Thanks, Dana

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Since I ride about 6K miles on my bicycle during the season, I am usually out in the boonies. I have already made several emergency calls for other folks who got in a crash or had medical problems on the Natchez Trace.

Sprint made a good paperweight if I were several miles off the beaten path.

Verizon works well in the middle of Nowhere, Tenn.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    In Oregon it's Verizon, with ATT not far behind for coverage. Sprint is a distant third.

15. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I live in the sticks at a man made lake in Michigan. It is pretty much Verizon or nothing at all here. I usally get two bars with Verizon if the weather is decent -- one bar if it is bad. Most other phone services won't work at all in the house -- will have to go outside and hold the phone up high, etc.

Gregg

16. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I spent eight years with Sprint and finally switched to Verizon.

If you are near a big city where the coverage is focused and only call home to see what's for dinner, and don't mine those calls dropping 30% of the time, Sprint will be fine.

If you rely on your mobile phone calls, Verizon is the only choice, but you get what you pay for and it is substantially more expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sprint coverage at benning

sprint overheard wireless thinking