1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Verizon FIOS - thumbs up!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had our telephone and Internet service switched over to Verizon's FIOS on Tuesday. The phone is a little clearer (we hardly use it anyway) but the Internet speed is awesome, even compared to their DSL that we had before. I just uploaded five high-resolution photos in 22 seconds and a large anti-virus update was downloaded in 12 seconds. Website pages refresh in the blink of an eye and the service actually seems to be faster than some websites. In fact, the tech who installed it (which takes four to six hours) told me that some sites limit the amount of bandwidth that any one user can access so you may not see much improvement on some while you will see a lot on others. I signed up for 24 months at $74.99 a month for both services which is about what I was paying for them before.

My primary reason for switching was for the fiber optic television service that Verizon is now offering in some areas and will release in our area next month. The channel line-up looks just like the digital cable we now have but the cost will be $105 per month for all three services with each additional television set adding $5.00 per month to the bill. We now pay $70 per month for Comcast's digital cable service for three sets and standard service for two others. Add the all but $100 that we now pay for phone and Internet and it looks like we will save about forty bucks a month and have better service.

Ed

2. TjayE

TjayE Member

Ed, Thanks for the info.
    How can I find out if this service is available in our area. We do use Verizon cell phone service.

We now subscribe to Comcast Triple Play and I am not completely satisfied with their service. It seems to me they have more business that they can service. When I switched to Comcast, it took seven or eight service calls for the technician to get our service (HDTV) anywhere close to satisfaction. I am still not satisfied with their service. Tom E.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Tom, go to Verizon's web page, click on Fios, then type in your telephone number. It will tell you what is available in your location.

Ed, wait 'till you download large files. That's when you really see the speed. Even then, you are limited by how fast the server can dish up the information. For example, I can download from a server located about 50 mi from me (latency of 14ms) at 12500 kb/s and upload at 1824 kb/s during a speed test. That's pretty close to the 15 Mb/s down and 2 Mb/s up that I am paying for. Comcast was never anywhere near close.

For those contemplating a switch to Fios TV: Fios is a digital only system. That means you must have a set top box for every TV if you want 2-way communication. For those TVs that you don't need 2-way, you can use a cable card.

Fios TV is better than Comcast digital. However, when you have Fios TV installed, Verizon will migrate your voice lines from copper to fiber. You don't have a choice. So if you live in a location with no cell coverage or power blackouts, you will have no communication when the backup battery dies in two days of standby (much less if you use the phone). With the copper line, power is provided by Verizon, through the lines, so if you have a conventional phone you can always call out during emergencies.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

ED! please keep in mind that in the case of an extended power outage..you will lose your home phone after about 4 hours..because they run off their own power supply with a very limited backup time ..some home security systems and a lot of fax machines wont work with it either...problems with triggering voltage levels

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

works fine with my ADT alarm system and both my Dell fax's

6. CalvinMD

682...thats great and I'm glad it all works as planned..I worked for the big V in Texas and was an engineer for this system working out bugs...Its a good system but it does have a few issues and I wanted all my trapshooting brothers to know all the facts that Verizon will never tell you. To me the main drawback is that they take out the existing copper service to the home so there is no going back if you are disatisfied. Folks who have critical medical emergency possibilities and 24hr monitoring that utilize the phone line really need to consider the power outage thing....after 4-6hrs if your electricity is still down..then you are out of luck

7. AveragEd

In cases like that, Calvin, additional larger capacity batteries can be connected in tandem with the one Verizon supplies. And they must have changed how they do their installations because the copper wiring into and within my home is still there. In fact, "going back" is very much an option and there is a 30-day window during which you may decline to keep the service. If they permanently disabled the old service, it would cost them a lot of money to honor that.

Ed

8. CalvinMD

They must have changed their policies since '07...your copper is disconnected out at the main breakout box and they used to just pull an clip at the bundle entry..I was a superviser and am lucky to have ears left from being screamed at by customers who learned all of the details after the fact...of course my main regions were TX Cali. and FLA..they might do it different up in this region and also it may depend on some consumer law in place..if so , thats a good thing...Thought you would be at Sparta Ed?? How goes it? You ought to make the ride to Millington the end of this month

9. AveragEd

Sparta is not in my plans for the foreseeable future. I'm one of those working-class stiffs who earns 15 vacation days a year, some of which get used for sprint car racing, fishing trips and other purposes. To burn four of them looking through a windshield doesn't interest me and flying and renting a car exceeds what I want to spend in order to shoot. I am the only person in the company that employs me who can do my job, so extra time off is highly frowned upon. Aside from that, I at this time am not a good enough shooter to do anything at the Grand but shoot very expensive registered practice in my class and yardage group and don't want to sandbag into a lower class or shorter yardage group. Do I have the excuses pretty well covered?

You know, I haven't been to Millington in many years. If my buddy Paul is around and going there, I just might tag along.

Ed

10. chessney

chessney TS Member

Ive had Fios for over a year now. It is far better then anything in the market now. Going to web sites is faster then changing the channel on my tv set...BTW I still have all the copper lines in my house. I dont have a phone in the house but if I did the lines are there...Ziggy

11. CalvinMD

Sorry for the misunderstanding...they have to use the copper IN your house..thats what the ties into to the FIOS ONT(optical network terminal)so that all your lines and extensions stay the same..where the disconnect and rip the copper service out is out somewhere in your neighborhood ...I always tried to convince the field techs to practice good housekeeping and label and roll the wire pairs just in case.
    That would be great Ed...just ask where my trailer is and stop by for a Rolling Rock and a cheeseburger!

12. Juno

Juno TS Member

Sounds great. How long have you worked for verizon Ed?

13. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

RE; Verizon
    in my area wich is so.cal high desert,verizon gets the academy award for the
    absolute worst customer service I have ever had.All calls for support go to
    INDIA or some other 3rd word country, where you get to try and communicate with someone who barely speaks english and his name is SAM.Out of all calls for assistance,numbering 10-15 because of" system down",all but 1 was blamed on MY COMPUTER.I have had charter for 2 years now with no interuptions in service.
    JIM SIMS

14. AveragEd

If you're serious, I don't. If you're kidding, I own the company.

Ed

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Went to the Verizon website to get more info. They can't find my home address in a major city in Florida. So I tried their 800 number and the office is closed. Any company that inept is not for me.

Eric

Eric

16. AveragEd

Eric, the number you called likely is for their local office. Those offices keep "normal" business hours. But there is a 24/7 number you can call for tech assistance, etc.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.