1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

venture vs. gold wing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I"m in the market for a big touring motorcycle. I need opinions on the venture and the gold wing.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am a Harley guy but I had three Goldwings and one Venture. Both good bikes, Venture has less resale value and cost a little less ( back then anyway) Hard to beat a Goldwing if thats the style bike you want. I put 150,000 on one and never touched it except for oil

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If you are into a more retro design, then buy the Yamaha. If you are looking for a no compromise big tourer, then the Goldwing is the way to go.

The differences being, that the Venture lacks FI and ABS. The other thing I don't like about the Venture is the lack of rear lighting. There is a bit more lighting in the rear of the Goldwing

Both motorcycles have a bullet proof drivelines and will do the job well. The Venture has a lot of standard equipment, and the best warranty in the business.

Go ride both and find out which one works best for you. I've sold a lot of both over the years and it has usually been decided by the ride. What works for one, doesn't allways work for the other.

ec90t

4. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

The Gold Wing is probably THE best tool for the job; long distance touring. Not to take anything away from the Yamaha though....another hell of a Touring bike.

Shopping is fun...why not try one of the BMW Tourers for the fun of it?? Comfortable, ABS, FI, etc. I REALLY like ABS on a big (heavy) bike. Can be a lifesaver.

FN in MT

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Mine's an FJR1300 but my wife has a GL1800A.

Something to consider, especially for those of smaller stature. Both are large bikes but the Wing has reverse, the Venture doesn't.

My wife is an excellent rider but could not move an 800# bike back out of a parking spot in all locations, without reverse. Even as a 6' - 3" "porker", before we had the gravel driveway paved, I used to very glad of the reverse, myself, for backing it up on the gravel.

6. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I think the Goldwing is the best bike for the money. I am on GW number 6, a 2008 model. I put 70K miles on the last one with not problems at all. If you want a tourer then pick the Goldwing. You can search the net for the best price, I found that Honda of Russelville was the lowest in the country. They will even pick you up at the airport and you can ride it home. The GW also has the most aftermarket accessories, just about anything you want. Bob

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

TB,

Good call on the reverse. That had entirely slipped my mind.

ec90t

8. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine bought a Honda Rune. I see the new ones out there for about $16K.
    Big bike with all the goodies and retro styling. Has reverse too!
    Give that a look also.
    Dave

9. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

If you are serious about M/C touring BMW K1200 LTC. Several hundred thousand on K bikes (7 I think) One problem in NOva Scotia with a starter. One day in the shop. Gas, oil, and GO. Passed alot of the other brands up. Reverse gear and all the goodies. Cost is the same as a car, but it is only money. My best day was 1243 miles in 14 hours. Gonzo! Rick Gibbs

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

abs on motorcycles should have come before the auto's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.