1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

venting on Trap & Field

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by a budine, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a budine

a budine Member

I'm ticked - after waiting two months for NY results to appear, they did - and my picture was not there. I won two trophies - a class championship and a runner-up spot - they took my picture and told me to watch for it - nothing. Tenth place handicap made it - but not a class win or runner-up. Worked four years for that leather bag and buckle - love them - but remain disappointed. Oh, well...

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I won my state class this year, they took my pic also, said it would be posted? what ever I WON yeah baby. dont care much about media reconistion. I know I won, its all bragging rights. I hope to get out to NY next year.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I guess they don't post ugly people in their magazine!

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Got news for you. The Va state shoot on July 4 will be in the mag not Aug, not Sept but Oct. But when they have the Grand they will have it in the next printing of the mag. Thats I mean is the next issue. Less then 30 days to print the Grand but 3 months to print a state shoot.

5. purina

purina TS Member

Yes I was counting on my photo from our state shoot being in there as well. Big disapointment! Need to use it to run the mice out of the basement! I guess I will have to use the Class C third place ashtray I won to hold the mouse poison.

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

class wins dont get much,,,been there,,,2006,,,NH state, NY state,,ATA east zone Two wins,,Got my state belt buckle,,,thats what I wanted,,,,but a pic would be nice some day,,,maybe this year,,,lost to Kaye by a bird in caps at westy hogan,,,but won my yardage

7. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I know I need to subscribe to Trap and Field, but if you are not a subscriber, and you do something that should get your picture into the Magazine, Like winning the State Handicap Championship, it would be nice to get a complimantory magizine with your picture in it.

Maybe that would get some of us that are slow getting off the dime moving!

Al

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

During May-June-July there are nearly 55 state/provincial shoots, 5 Zone shoots and several other large shoots and it takes several issues of Trap and Field to cover all of these shoots. Trap and field suggests group photographs. That allows more people to be pictured in less space. Many of the photographs submitted to Trap and Field are of such poor quality they cannot be reproduced. Sometimes the information provided to Trap and Field describing the shoot is incomplete and inaccurate.

Overall, I believe Trap and Field does a nice job.

Pat Ireland

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Yes Pat, still a good read for me.

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Pat if thats the case then why is the Grand in T+F the next issue?

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Maybe it's because it's the most important report of the year that is of greatest intrest to the majority of shooters? Just a guess Garg. Jeff

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

good guess Jeff.

Pat Ireland

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

It could be because their reporters are in attendance, at the "Grand", and the information can be printed immediately, as reported, rather than re-editing information submitted by others.

Ed Yanchok

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Magazines take/get LOTS of pictures. They can't publish all of them; some get weeded out.
    Public recognition is available....right where you put it: here on TS.com

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just winning your Class is way down on the priority list and is no big deal to anyone except the class winner.

Being a class winner just means you got your butt thumped in the event, thus the white elephant trophy! It's kind of like saying.....thanks for coming, but next time, bring more money!

Curt - Delaware

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Winning my class at any size shoot is important to me, at least for the day I won. I suppose that I have not won as many class trophies as Curt.

Pat Ireland

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

When I won the Grand next year I wouldn't care at all about seeing my picture being published in ole magazine cause my picture is already published in every post office across the country.

18. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well...Alaska's state shoot is in July, and it just came out in the most recent issue. As the Alaska president I email with Terry Heeg quite often - she's great to work with.

In fact, if you find the Alaska State shoot report, and then look at the next page - that's me with the fish. Terry not only let us write that piece, she published it for free - we haven't bought an ad (yet...you'll see Alaska 2008 state shoot ads coming).

And we ASKED her to push the Alaska report to October - so we'd get more space in the magazine than we might get if we were in the August or September issue.

Bottom Line: Find out whoever's submitting your shoot reports and tell them to submit more pictures. If they're not cooperative, hey - HERES A NEWSFLASH: Volunteer to take over the job and do it yourself.

I'm sure that Terry would love to work with you. And you won't have a thing to bitch about.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

I wish it was only 13 states but I have more states of mind than that in my own head and ... well ... that really doesnt count cause I aint wanted there either.

20. porky

porky TS Member

To me, it's all about the bottom line and the way that publishers get it is to sell advertising. There is a lot more advertising in today's magazine as well as articles about shooting in other venues. I am surprised that skeet and sporting clays haven't shown up on a regular basis. If the publisher had to decide between your picture and write up or an advertisement I think that we would all know who would win. Maybe it's just the paper, but the magazine seems a lot thinner that it used to be. I know that the trap content has gotten smaller, but I don't really think that it is because we are shooting less. The more different venues, the more advertisers. That's what keeps the magazine in business. You'll never see the Chinese advertise because the United States is a captive market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.