1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Venting on our charity shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nut, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nut

nut Member

I have a stupid question

My local club is putting on a charity shoot for cancer. I have been planing and organizing this event since january. The shoot is Sunday and today after I left the club two of our member ask our club president why we are not making any money on this shoot. Total expenses for this shoot that the club is responsible for might be 50.00 to 60.00 dollars worth of electricity.

Am I wrong to think that when it says charity you give it to the charity. I'am not going to go out and ask people for donations and then keep it.

So what do you think am I nuts or what.

They are not keeping any money over my dead body!

So again what is your opinion

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Interesting and difficult question. Most of the large charity events like golf tournaments share a percentage of the profit with the organization who benefits from the event. There is some money going to the location for expenses and some income and there are paid officials and personnel who do some of the work.

At a small trap shoot I would think the host club should get a bit of recompense for the wear and tear on the equipment and utility use. Not much, just enough to make the folks welcome the next time you want to have a charity shoot.

Bob

3. nut

nut Member

All the equipment is rented only thing the club furnishes is the club house and a little bit of electricity.

Forgot to say this is a sporting clays shoot. All expenses are payed out of the shoot income. It cost us last year about 5200.00 to put this on and cleared 6400.00 for the american cancer society. Last year had 106 shooters so where not a big high priced event.just want people to have fun make a little money for the chairity and promote or club.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

nut:

It is perfectly appropriate for other club members to have input on how club facilities are used. That would include things like whether a club should host charitable events and if so, under what circumstances.

If members are/were concerned about compensation for the club, those concerns should have been raised in the early planning stages. The time for input on how to conduct this event has long since expired.

Every club has a few kibitzers just waiting to second guess someone else's efforts. You've just identified two at your club.

sissy

PS 1: Kibitzers eat $#!+.

PS 2: check your private messages

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.