1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vent-free fireplace ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

    Doug Brown Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,452
    I'm thinking about installing a vent free fireplace or vent free heater in my basement, to use for heat during a power outage. Do they smell, etc? I'd appreciate any thoughts from someone who has one. Thanks
     
    ventlessfireplace thanked this.
  2. Catching Chrome

    Catching Chrome Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2009
    Messages:
    934
    I have one in my family room and it works great. I am also thinking of putting one in my basement. It doesn't smell at all. Warms the place very fast and has really cut my home electric bill. The only thing I don't like is the fan isn't very quiet.
     
  3. KEYBEAR

    KEYBEAR Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,222
    I have had one for years and it does work nice . No smell and will heat the house if i need it to . Mine has no fan and only three settings .

    The down side it is very expensive to run . With LP gas as high as it is it,s close to 50 cents an hour . But that is cheap if you need heat I only use mine when the heat goes out .
     
  4. Shooting Jack

    Shooting Jack Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    Messages:
    3,523
    Location:
    Blackshear, Georgia
    Not sure if we're talking about the same thing but I have a Flameless Propane 30,000 btu heater that I love. I am extremely cold natured so love having something to back up to, to warm myself. We have central Heating and Air but I prefer the gas heater. No fumes and no stains from smut as in fireplace. Jackie B.
     
  5. DoubleAuto

    DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1,313
    Location:
    Out On The Mountain
    I put two vent-free fireplaces in the home we had. Both smelled. We put three direct-vent fireplaces in our new home three years ago and have not smelled anything. Fully enclosed inside the house with any fumes vented to the outside of the house. I will not buy a regular vented or vent-free fireplace. Direct vent is the way to go. It is 17 degrees here in the "south" up on the mountain and my wife has the three-sided direct vent fireplace on now. No Smell. Good heat.

    DoubleAuto
     
  6. KEYBEAR

    KEYBEAR Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    3,222
    Jack this goes in the fireplace and looks like burning logs . I,v had mine for 15 years or more . When I bought it I call the people that made it and ask for the cost formula to figure cost and at that time it was about 25 cents an hour on high no fan. it does a super job but LP gas is 1.47 now so it close to double now .
     
  7. glenn mcleod

    glenn mcleod Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    528
    Up north in Minnesota our houses must be super insulated so we have to be careful with ventless heaters. They have to get the oxygen to burn from some place and if they are using the oxygen you need they will cause headaches or even worse if you aren't careful. Also, they have to give off moisture from the propane burning and it is not uncommon to have weeping windows and walls on the interior from the moisture that is given off. We have a gas unit in our former wood burning fireplace that will actually heat the house if the power goes off but it is a sealed unit with a glass front and all the moisture and gases go up the chimney. This is a much safer way to go. It is a great unit but a little costly. Plan on spending $3500+ for a good unit that will continue to operate if the power goes off. They will really heat you up if you have power and run the fan. Be careful with gas of all kinds. Glenn
     
  8. birddog1964

    birddog1964 TS Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Messages:
    466
    If you have natural gas in your area that is the way to go, with vent free gas loges in the fire place 40,000 btu will heat 1600sqf to a comfortable temp using ceiling fans to circulate the air. the house I had in Nashville Tn this is how I heated it for several yrs before I moved back here.

    lee
     
  9. Charkat1

    Charkat1 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    Messages:
    84
    Location:
    East Tennessee
    I've had a natural gas vent-free fireplace for 13 years and love it. When we first got it, there was a bit of a smell but that went away. It really heats the house well and has a thermostat that raises and lowers the flame according to the amount of heat in the room. The fireplace we have is a Monessen. Getting that fireplace is one of the best things we did when we rennovated the house. We live near the ocean and the fireplace takes the damp chill out of the walls quickly.

    Charlene
     
  10. esoxhunter

    esoxhunter Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2006
    Messages:
    2,060
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Doug: I installed a Monessen vent free fireplace, (LP), about 3 years ago. At first I noted a slight odor when we initially used it. After a few hours the smell went away. It does a great job of heating a large portion of the house. We experience a number of power outages and we really appreciate it then. However, as was mentioned, it does get a little "pricey" to operate; if you use it for extended periods of time. Ed
     
  11. Seth Bagwell

    Seth Bagwell TS Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    Messages:
    17
    I have a non vented gas log in my living room. In my opinion it sucks. No smell problems, it just doesn't seem to heat very well. It does seem to do better if the ceiling fan is on, but still not that great. It really sucks up the natural gas too. My parents have a direct vented unit, it seems to pit out a lot more heat, and uses less gas.

    If I had it to do over, I'd get a modern wood stove. The good ones burn really clean with no smell and seem to radiate more heat. But that's just my opinion.
     
  12. coldtrail

    coldtrail Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2008
    Messages:
    297
    I have a non-vented fireplace and would not do it again. I also put in a corn/pellet stove in my clubhouse; it is great.
     
  13. cubancigar2000

    cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    10,521
    Location:
    Idaho
    I heated a 3 car garage with a vent free gas heater. My wife let the outdoor cats stay in there when it was real cold. They did not die? Actually it worked well and it was called a heat n glow. I would do it again if I need to
     
  14. motrap

    motrap Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    156
    Location:
    MO
    Cuban ....... I don't see how you can claim it worked well if the outdoor cats did not die ...........
     
  15. Bob Schultz

    Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,741
    Location:
    Tuxedo NC
    I have a vent free log insert in the fireplace in the basement den. (My man cave.) During the coldest winter days ... like yesterday ... it keeps the room warm and comfortable. Its about 15 years old and I have it serviced by a local company every year. Never a problem and would recommend one.

    Bob Schultz
     
  16. Doug Brown

    Doug Brown Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,452
    Bought a 30,000 LP infrared/ventless from the Louisville Tin & Stove Co. The man said the heater will accenuate odors in the house, such as dog pee in the carpet etc. IF you detect an odor it would be carbon dioxide???
     
  17. Maytag

    Maytag TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    121
    Doug,

    CO is colorless and odorless
     
  18. Maytag

    Maytag TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    121
    sorry Doug, thought you wrote carbon monoxide
     
  19. bt 99

    bt 99 TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    91
    Vent free???? Does not work, there has to be a chimney and a vent some place. Maybe a window left open?? Gass heaters burn oxygen and produce carbon dioxcide c0-2.
    That would be the same as putting one of them nonvented---buddy type gass heaters in a motor home. One would be comfy going to sleep but would not wake up in the morning. Sorry, just my 2 cents. Steve
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are there fully enclosed non vented fire places

,

ventless gas fireplace in basement

,

why do smut come from my fireplace