1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vent-free fireplace ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about installing a vent free fireplace or vent free heater in my basement, to use for heat during a power outage. Do they smell, etc? I'd appreciate any thoughts from someone who has one. Thanks

ventlessfireplace thanked this.
  2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have one in my family room and it works great. I am also thinking of putting one in my basement. It doesn't smell at all. Warms the place very fast and has really cut my home electric bill. The only thing I don't like is the fan isn't very quiet.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have had one for years and it does work nice . No smell and will heat the house if i need it to . Mine has no fan and only three settings .

The down side it is very expensive to run . With LP gas as high as it is it,s close to 50 cents an hour . But that is cheap if you need heat I only use mine when the heat goes out .

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing but I have a Flameless Propane 30,000 btu heater that I love. I am extremely cold natured so love having something to back up to, to warm myself. We have central Heating and Air but I prefer the gas heater. No fumes and no stains from smut as in fireplace. Jackie B.

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I put two vent-free fireplaces in the home we had. Both smelled. We put three direct-vent fireplaces in our new home three years ago and have not smelled anything. Fully enclosed inside the house with any fumes vented to the outside of the house. I will not buy a regular vented or vent-free fireplace. Direct vent is the way to go. It is 17 degrees here in the "south" up on the mountain and my wife has the three-sided direct vent fireplace on now. No Smell. Good heat.

DoubleAuto

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jack this goes in the fireplace and looks like burning logs . I,v had mine for 15 years or more . When I bought it I call the people that made it and ask for the cost formula to figure cost and at that time it was about 25 cents an hour on high no fan. it does a super job but LP gas is 1.47 now so it close to double now .

7. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Up north in Minnesota our houses must be super insulated so we have to be careful with ventless heaters. They have to get the oxygen to burn from some place and if they are using the oxygen you need they will cause headaches or even worse if you aren't careful. Also, they have to give off moisture from the propane burning and it is not uncommon to have weeping windows and walls on the interior from the moisture that is given off. We have a gas unit in our former wood burning fireplace that will actually heat the house if the power goes off but it is a sealed unit with a glass front and all the moisture and gases go up the chimney. This is a much safer way to go. It is a great unit but a little costly. Plan on spending $3500+ for a good unit that will continue to operate if the power goes off. They will really heat you up if you have power and run the fan. Be careful with gas of all kinds. Glenn

8. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

If you have natural gas in your area that is the way to go, with vent free gas loges in the fire place 40,000 btu will heat 1600sqf to a comfortable temp using ceiling fans to circulate the air. the house I had in Nashville Tn this is how I heated it for several yrs before I moved back here.

lee

9. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I've had a natural gas vent-free fireplace for 13 years and love it. When we first got it, there was a bit of a smell but that went away. It really heats the house well and has a thermostat that raises and lowers the flame according to the amount of heat in the room. The fireplace we have is a Monessen. Getting that fireplace is one of the best things we did when we rennovated the house. We live near the ocean and the fireplace takes the damp chill out of the walls quickly.

Charlene

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Doug: I installed a Monessen vent free fireplace, (LP), about 3 years ago. At first I noted a slight odor when we initially used it. After a few hours the smell went away. It does a great job of heating a large portion of the house. We experience a number of power outages and we really appreciate it then. However, as was mentioned, it does get a little "pricey" to operate; if you use it for extended periods of time. Ed

11. Seth Bagwell

Seth Bagwell TS Member

I have a non vented gas log in my living room. In my opinion it sucks. No smell problems, it just doesn't seem to heat very well. It does seem to do better if the ceiling fan is on, but still not that great. It really sucks up the natural gas too. My parents have a direct vented unit, it seems to pit out a lot more heat, and uses less gas.

If I had it to do over, I'd get a modern wood stove. The good ones burn really clean with no smell and seem to radiate more heat. But that's just my opinion.

12. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

I have a non-vented fireplace and would not do it again. I also put in a corn/pellet stove in my clubhouse; it is great.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I heated a 3 car garage with a vent free gas heater. My wife let the outdoor cats stay in there when it was real cold. They did not die? Actually it worked well and it was called a heat n glow. I would do it again if I need to

14. motrap

motrap Member

Cuban ....... I don't see how you can claim it worked well if the outdoor cats did not die ...........

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a vent free log insert in the fireplace in the basement den. (My man cave.) During the coldest winter days ... like yesterday ... it keeps the room warm and comfortable. Its about 15 years old and I have it serviced by a local company every year. Never a problem and would recommend one.

Bob Schultz

16. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Bought a 30,000 LP infrared/ventless from the Louisville Tin & Stove Co. The man said the heater will accenuate odors in the house, such as dog pee in the carpet etc. IF you detect an odor it would be carbon dioxide???

17. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Doug,

CO is colorless and odorless

18. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

sorry Doug, thought you wrote carbon monoxide

19. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

Vent free???? Does not work, there has to be a chimney and a vent some place. Maybe a window left open?? Gass heaters burn oxygen and produce carbon dioxcide c0-2.
    That would be the same as putting one of them nonvented---buddy type gass heaters in a motor home. One would be comfy going to sleep but would not wake up in the morning. Sorry, just my 2 cents. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are there fully enclosed non vented fire places

ventless gas fireplace in basement

why do smut come from my fireplace