1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Venison Bacon

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duckhunter331, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

I was just wondering if anybody had a recipe for venison bacon. We have had some made at a butcher shop but want to try to make some on our own. Thanks in advance.

Travis

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I always butcher the deer myself and try to throw away all the fat which to me tastes worse than mutton fat kinda like eating a bar of soap. I have had some excellent sausage made with the addition of pork but I sure don't like the taste of deer fat.

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

I agree with miketmx. We also butcher our own deer and in my opinion the fat has a terrible taste.
    We typically cut off all the fat we can while butchering. The fat goes into a bag in the freezer. Later I mix it with sunflower seeds/cracked corn etc. and make suet balls for the song birds during the winter.

We also make our sausage by adding pork as deer by itself is too lean for sausage.

4. tachyon

tachyon Member

I agree with miketmx. We also butcher our own deer and in my opinion the fat has a terrible taste.
    We typically cut off all the fat we can while butchering. The fat goes into a bag in the freezer. Later I mix it with sunflower seeds/cracked corn etc. and make suet balls for the song birds during the winter.

We also make our sausage by adding pork as deer by itself is too lean for sausage.

5. tachyon

tachyon Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.