1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vendors at the shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jnoland, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoland

jnoland TS Member

When my husband retires we are wanting to start a small business around trap shooting. We would like to visit one of the larger shoots where there are quite a few vendors to get ideas on booths and how things are set up. We are located in Montana, and the shoots here do not really have many vendors. Can someone tell me which of the shows have quite a few vendors at them? Thanks so much.

Julia

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Wow! That's really insightful! I bet she thinks highly of you also....

3. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

Nicky called me yesterday to confirm my vendor location. Was plesant and helpful as always.

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

If you go to a shoot with no vendors at all and have a good product and/or service to market, you will do well. Don't search for a shoot with a lot of vendors, search for a shoot with lots of shooters. You can get shoot history with numbers of competitors easily.

5. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

The Pa. State Shoot has many vendors. Not all are shooting related but welcomed. Try it on the Thurs.-Fri. & Sat. of the shoot, by Sunday everyone is packing up to go.

Vern

6. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

The first shoot we went to we just had a glorified card table for our hydraulic and the accessories for P/W loaders that Carter had developed. If you have good products, just keep everything neat and clean and treat your customers the way you like to be treated. The big problem I see with vendors is that so many of them have basically the same or same types of items and they are all competing. I always feel bad when I go to shoots; I want to support the vendors but we don't need another shirt, or shell bag or towel or gun or recoil pad. If you haven't been to a big shoot, the P.I.T.A. Grand in Washington is coming up in a few days. It is a nice shoot, fairly close to you with a lot of vendors. It would be a good shoot to see what is available already. The contact person is Sue Brewer, sue@ shootPITA.com. Do some market research before you start, find out if there is something shooters want that they can't find or a service they would like to have offered at shoots.
    Dicksie Spolar

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Julia:
    Around 30 years ago I went to a very hot and humid state shoot. One of the better shooters in the ATA decided to sell ice cream cones when he was not shooting. He had a portable cart, with tubs of ice cream. He was making money hand over fist, with long lines throughout the shoot.

I asked him on the last day how it felt knowing that he probably made more money selling ice cream cones that week, than he ever did shooting? He gave me a dirty look, packed up his cones, and left.

If it's hot, sell cones, and the handkerchiefs that you roll and put behind your neck soaked in water. If it's cold, sell hot chocolate, and sweaters with a shoulder patch..
    Steve Balistreri

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Julia, the Iowa State Shoot starts the 19th of July and runs through the 24th. They always have a lot of vendors.

Come on down and see for your self. That might give you a few ideas too.

Hauxfan!

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

i'd buy reclaimed shot if i could find it anywhere. good luck with it

10. jnoland

jnoland TS Member

Thank you very much. I will see about the PITA shoot in WA as it is pretty close.

Julia

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The Sparta Grand & Ohio Cardinal Center have a lot of vendors. They are both quite a ways from you. Clyde

12. pullll

pullll Member

What ever the name of the other two shooting disciplines are, they have quite a following especially in New England, East coast and Texas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.