1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VELOSITY SPEED FOR 28 GRAM INTERNATIONAL LOADS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I WAS LOOKING AT THE ALLIENT RELOADING BOOK AND THE SHOW A 28 GRAM(1 OZ) INTERNATIONAL LOAD.

THE FPS WAS LISTED AS 1340 IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE FOR USING A LOAD THAT IS THAT FAST.

I WAS THINKING OF GIVING IT A TRY FOR TRAP LOADS OR AM I BETTER OFF JUST USING A SLOWER 1 1/8 ONCE LOAD.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you are trying to achieve reduced recoil, this isn't the answer.

What yardage are you shooting from?

ss

3. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

THE 16...i THOUGHT 28 GRAM INTERNATIONAL WOULD BE LESS RECOIL BECAUSE OF THE LESS AMOUNT OF LEAD.

THATS WHY i ASKED THE EXPERTS ON THIS SITE.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you are right in the center of them all the time, it probably won't make any difference. If you use the outer parts of the pattern you will probably do better with more pellets.

The only point I can see for such speed is the ability to use smaller shot which Tim Woodhouse promoted in a recent issue of Trapshooting USA. Try it and tell us how it works.

The recoil of a 7/8 oz load is about the same as a 1 1/8 oz. load going 3/4 as fast or only about 1040 fps in this case. So if that's the aim, it will work.

Neil

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm no great singles shooter as 94-96/100 is about my usual score. I use 1 oz of 8's travelling 1180fps for my singles shell. I don't miss any because of the shell, it's purely my doing.

Besides, that 1340 load would be illegal for competition.

If you need something a little faster that 1180fps, just step it up a little to the 1235fps area. Plenty of info on Hodgdon's site for 1235fps 1 oz loads.

ss

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Look up www.shotgunreport.com...Bruce Buck recently (2/8/10) responded to this type of question in his "Technoid" Question/Answer. Regards, Ed

7. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO I THINK I'LL STICK TO 1OZ LOADS AT 1200 AND LET MY SHOOTING DO THE JOB.

I THOUGHT I WOULD JUST RUN THIS BUY, I DIDN'T THINK 1340 WOULD BE OF ANY ADVANTAGE BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK....I'M STRICKLY AN BEGGINER IN TRAP...MUCH HARDER THAN SKEET FOR ME.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

One of the best 16 yd loads is 1oz of 8's going 1175. Soft and fast enough to work. Estate makes a great 1oz load.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shooting a 1340 1 oz. shell is punishing.. and I think scores would go down.. The 24 gram at 1330 is far more comfortable to shoot..

It's not about the lead shot.. its about having a faster shell to increase downrange energy and reduced leeds on crossers while still being comfortable to shoot..

As big a fan as I am of the 24 gram.. 1330.. My love affair with the 1 oz.. stops at 1250 fps.. Anymore than that.. shoot a 1 1/8oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.