1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

velocity

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smifshot, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

If I use a federal wad instead of the while AA wad will my speed increase?

Using AA hulls and primers...17.5 grains OF RED DOT

Thanks.....Fred

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you are talking about the Federal 12S3 and 1 1/8 oz of shot, it probably will have only a small effect on velocity either way. My notes showed a decrease in velocity in the STS hulls with 18.0 grains and a different primer (STS), but I don't have data for the AA hull for both wads. The testing I had done was a few years apart for each load, so it's probably not too significant. I believe most of the data I have seen for tapered hulls using these wads, has shown the pressure to increase over the WAA12 and Fig 8 wads. There was little change in the velocity. I don't have pressure testing equipment at my disposal, so I can't say for sure.

What are you trying to accomplish?

As for YOUR speed, I have no idea. Caffeine may cause an increase, but swapping wads never did a thing for me.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The AA hull is tapered on the inside. AA wads have a corresponding taper. Federal wads have a straight wall. Both published data and logic suggest that a straight walled wad in a tapered hull will increase pressure but not necessarily velocity.

It is my personal belief that straight walled wads belong in hulls that also have straight walls and tapered wads should be stuffed into tapered hulls.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.