1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Velocity/Shell Question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

From 20-23 yard handicap is there any need to shoot a 3 dram 1200-1250 fps shell? Matt

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I don't think so. But I did. I now shoot them from 27 but know, in my heart of hearts, that I'm not getting advantage by doing so. Still . . .

Neil

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

no, but if you think you need to, then you will likely do better, but it will likely be because of confidence and not pellet speed, try and see in practice.....

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

None, but the only way to get your brain to understand that is to try a few 100 1150's, or less, and if you can't get it out of your head------stay with what you have.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd shoot a round with the 3dr then one with a 2-3/4 from your handicap distance at 23 yards. Then you tell us what, if any differences you see? Farther back this may become important depending on your timing to the target. Even then, it depends on how much shooting you do to become accustomed to the 2-3/4 loads and necessary leads for you. Ours is a game of inches, not feet. Hap

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

I thinks I would rather shoot faster round but a smaller load thusly compensating for the longer distance with the speed of the shot and knowing the shot is going where I am shooting it that the amount of shot will not matter but the shot I am shooting will get there quicker and thusly the bird will still shatter into a gaziljillion pieces 100 times during each round ... dang ... reading that confused me.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

1oz at 1180 is plenty from anywhere,unless it is windy as hell.

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

A 2 3/4 dram load at 1145 ft/sec travels the 50 yards to the target in .131 sec.

A 3 dram load at 1200 ft/sec travels the same distance in .125 sec, a difference of about 5/1000 of a second.

A target traveling at 40 mph (58.7 ft/sec) covers .3 of a foot (4 inches) in that 5/1000 of a second.

If you really need that 4 inches to break the target, you don't need a fast load, you need glasses!

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just goes to show that it aint the gun, load or anything else other than if its the shooter that misses the target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.