1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Velocities

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

I have been shooting a light (slow) load for singles and first shot at doubles and what I thought was a faster load for handicap and second shot for doubles. I had incorrectly assumed that the progression of velocities and pressures was linear from one published load to another. I recently found that is not true and the load I thought was faster turned out to be not that fast at all. I don't have a chronograph so I'm doing all this on paper. I'm having a hard time finding Green Dot (for my "faster" load) so I'm trying to work up a load for Clay Dot, which I can get and I already use for my slower load. Here's my question: Is there a velocity (for a 1oz. load of #8) at which the pattern begins to "blow" apart due to increased velocity, or does it vary by each gun/choke ? I'm trying to get to about 1220 - 1230ft/sec but I don't know if that's a good range for 21yds & second shot at doubles. Thanks to all for any advice/information.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Usually, if a load is "subsonic" at the muzzle, the pattern would be tighter than a load that starts out supersonic and slows past the sonic barrier. That is, in theory. I have noticed that super light loads tend to pattern rather tightly and that loads over the speed of sound might have a slightly more open pattern. Is it really significant? I don't know, but I'm sure Neil Winston can find some graphs and charts to explain it. From 1200 to 1250, I've seen very little difference in patterns. I did have some loads with "blown" patterns, but I would think the wads were the issue and not the higher velocity. Recovered wads were abnormal when pushed to higher velocities.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

FNG, velocities from around 1100fps through 1235fps pattern about the same. The minute differences are just not worth worrying about. Velocities between 90fps and 1050fps definitely pattern tighter.

I'm not as sure about faster velocities, because I've not done as much patterning as with standard trap velocities. I can say that the 24g, 1280fps-1325fps loads I developed pattern great. So I still wouldn't worry about any reasonable velocity.

Just remember, the faster you push the shot, the more benefit real magnum shot will give you in pattern density. By real magnum shot I mean West Coast magnum, Lawrence Magnum, or Remington STS magnum.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

18 ~18.5gr of ClayDot under a DownRange TGT12 wad pushing 1oz of GOOD shot patterns great, and will absolutely crush targets back to the 27yd line and beyond. Under 10K psi, so it should be "safe" in all guns.

AndyH ;-)

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What breaks targets is getting the shot where it needs to be - or in other words, good shooting.

The more velocity your ammo has the greater the recoil and recoil is the #1 enemy of the trap shooter. Loads going 1,150 to 1,200 FpS are more than sufficient to break targets all the way back to the 27. There is no reason to beat yourself up with hard kicking shells. An ounce of #8s at 1,150 FpS will do everything you mentioned, singles, 21 Yards HC and both shots of doubles. Clay Dot is a great choice for that type of load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.