1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

VARMINT SHOOTING CHIPMONKS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BMC, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Member

If you get bored with plinkin' um, which is doubtful, and want to catch them in masses, try a Havaheart trap. If you aren't engineering challenged, get a small wire cage about 2x2x2 or thereabouts. Cut a hole in the top part of the wire large enough to insert a two or three inch PVC tube about six inches long extended down into the cage with the top roughly flush with the wire top. Dig a hole big enough to put the cage in and put some cardboard around the sides, then fill in the dirt. Toss some of their favorite vittals in there then come back later. Some or many will see the goods and go down the pipe hole to get it, where then they can't get back out due to the pvc pipe extending down into the cage. From there I'm sure you know what to do.

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Go but a Savage 17 HMR. The one with a scope and synthetic stock shout run you about $225. The will easily kill a 'munk out to 125 yards. we shoot ground squirrels and my longest shot on a young one (about the size of a 'munk) was 180 yards. Within 100 yards, you do not miss.

Mike

3. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I use the CB long version. They function better. But at 35 yards, they would drop off too much.

There a lot of sub sonic .22's in the long rifle loading. Those are very accurate out to 50 yards and beyond and a lot quieter.

Those little critters can cause quite a problem!

4. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

Captin, I know what you mean about chipmunks. Had hundreds, couldn't shoot them fast enough. Pellet gun for close work, 22 short cb cap in a bolt action tube fed scoped rifle for long shots. Both above work for the many red or gray squirrels, too. Too much time spent. Went to grain store, bought 6 rat traps, the big spring loaded type. Drilled a hole in the far corner, attached heavt string, 3 ft. long, tied them to anything permanent, set the traps,bait was sunflower seed, making sure one is stuck on hook. All I heard all afternoon was 'snap,snap'. 1st one took less than 10 min. Had over 60 in a week. Following year, less, & less as years go by. Do leave enough to keep the fox & fisher cats happy.
    I have a Daisy 1000fps with scope, 3x9, you may be interested in. If so, e-mail me.
    Bob

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

cap those aguila 22 SSS work good to about 50 yds sound like cb----hey BMC isnt that cage hunting LOL ricks1

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Chipmunks" (Golden Mantled Ground Squirrles) are protected species in Oregon. You can't hunt them.<br>
    <br>
    I do varmint hunt, though. For sage rats (Belding and Townsend Ground Squirrels), gray diggers (California Ground Squirrels), Rockchucks (Marmots, which are a 3/4 scale Groundhog), Nutria (#4 buckshot works best), possums and coyotes.<br>
    <br>
    Racoons and Bobcat require a fur takers permit, and Cougars just a readily available tag.<br>
    <br>
    I varmint hunt with anything from .22's to .50 cal., smokeless and blackpowder cartridges, shotguns, handguns and rifles.

7. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

A 22 rifle.....and the long 22 BIRD SHOT SUPER X....one shot...ITS OVER!

8. JonP

JonP Member

A couple of good old Victor rat traps with peanut butter placed strategically and you don't have to sit around and wait!. P.S. if you want to sit around, they seem to come out in the early mornings around here (so. IL) and a good .177 pellet rifle with a scope works pretty well in city limits - they figure out pretty quick their buddies are missing and the ones you miss know your gun'in for'em.

The dang things chew up the plastic drain pipes and burrow down along the foundation - kill'em all.

Jon

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

so far this yr. i have capped about 20 chipmunks and 8 woodchucks off of my property in WNY. Old Brno #1 .22 lr with a little 4x scope. With CCI Stingers it's good to 100 yds. An absolute tack driver. I enjoy head shots on woodchucks as much as I do hunting whitetails.

For the long range stuff I use a Savage 110 in .243 win with a Harris bi-pod and a 4x-16x weaver fine crosshair. I hand filed and stoned the trigger on the 110 and got it really crisp. There's been a couple of 400yd. head shots pulled off with that rig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.