1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Varing Shot Weight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

I have been using Westcoast Shot for some time. My shot load is 1-1/8 ounce +/- 4 7-1/2 shot BB's. I just purchased some Northwest shot, out of Medford,OR. When I checked my load, using Northwest Shot,the shot bushing was throwing 518 grains. This #6 P/W bushing was bored for Westcoast Shotand was very consistant.

I contribute this increase in weight to less animony in the shot. The question is how much less animony is in Northwest Shot? A P/W shot bushing throws a certian volume based on the diameter of the bushing. I think the P/W bushing is based on 3% animony. If a number 6 bushing @ 3% animony throws 492.2 grains +/-, how much less will it be with 6% animony?

The way I read the rules 518 grains is not a legal load.

I wouldappreciate any input.

Respectfully Submitted,

Andy

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

49 years of shooting trap and nobody ever checked any of my loads. Don't worry, be happy.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

flincher100- The number of shot will vary a little bit among your reloads and new shells made from the same shot. The weight of the shot will vary a little between brands of shot and sometimes among different lots of the same brand. I doubt that anyone is actually cheating with shot weight. Remember one ounce = one ounce +- something. All measurements are restricted to a degree of accuracy.

I am glad you weigh shot. I do that now and then. I am not sure I gain much useful information weighing shot but it is just something I do.

Pat Ireland

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Andy, the specific gravity of lead is 11.35 and of antimony 6.7. For our purposes here, we can call it a ratio of two-to one.

That means if you substitute one part of antinomy for one in 100 of lead (a 1 percent change) , you will reduce its specific gravity by about 1/2 percent.

So a change of three percent would lead to a change of about 1 1/2 percent, or seven or eight grains in the the charge weights you are talking about.

The problem may lie in your trust and your ideas of accuracy. To think a bushing drops 492.2 grains of 3% antimony shot is putting too much faith, too much accuracy on the whole home- (or factory-, for that matter) reloading process.

ATA rules give you about 507 grains. Many factory loads are about that or were, when I measured them. These days I suppose lead is bought where it's cheapest and so what you buy can be alloyed with anything.

Neil

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Excuse me.....but after having been an active trapshooter since '87 and being an observant person, it should be fairly obvious that the greater majority of our shooting brethren should be more concerned about weighing themselves rather than a little bit of lead!

Just something to start the new year off!!

Curt

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- Very astute observation.

Pat Ireland

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gee. That's big of you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.