1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Variable timing on pulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

There is often talk about the "rhythm of the squad". I understand it and appreciate a smooth operating squad. However... I would like some feed back regarding the services of human pullers. In the vast majority of cases, the puller launches a clay right as its called for. Then there are the times when the target flies much more quickly or even lagging a second or so behind.

I must admit that I usually crush the clays that appear when I'm not expecting them. that's cool. I'm sure I'm operating by instinct and not by THOUGHT. I find that I often turn to the puller with a grin only to find them mouthing an apology for the "bad pull". When I think of it I like to tell the puller that it wasn't a problem. I actually enjoy the randomness.

I've heard about "rules" that allow a puller to adjust timing, but I'm interested in a specific game of random launches. How would I ask a good puller to mix up the launches (provided the other squad members agreed)? I think it would be a hoot.

Larry

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

"IF" the rest of your squad agrees just ask the puller (scorekeeper) most of us would be glad to "help" (grin). Actually I as the shooter not the puller have done this a couple of times it seems to help slow me down and makes me pay attention instead of a kind of machine type timing-- spot shooting--anticipation thing that I catch myself doing sometimes. It's also fun to laugh at yourself & buddies once in a while. Have fun that is why we shoot isn't it????? Ross Puls

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Some of folks that run clinics use the "modified" pull to accentuate bad habits like moving the gun before you see the target.

At our 2-man shoot with the Konne-Yaut Indians the puller might delay the pull a second or ten seconds before releasing the bird.

During the olden golden days if you gave a shooter a slow pull and they missed the bird you might get an ugly look.

Tell us how it works out after your implement the program...

FRedmon

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I'm sure I'm operating by instinct and not by THOUGHT."

Gramps, not either of those choices, you react to sight as in having the patience waiting till you see the targets. The old time shooters that shot consistent scores did the same thing!

Like Ross paying attention, that too is seeing and reacting to the clay at the proper time!

No magical words for seeing something move, when it does move.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.