1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vandals shot, destroy Cape Meares lighthouse

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    KPTV News Story

Oregonian (AP) story

Vandals over the weekend shot this old scenic decommissioned lighthouse located in a state park on the Oregon coast, causing at least $50,000 in damage. Some of the Fresnel lenses were damaged, and they are irreplaceable.

They also shot up the more modern coast guard light that replaced it, which is in service on a dangerous cape on the Oregon coast.

This was a unique, attractive, historic lighthouse. It was notably short, and the base (tower) is made of iron and iron sheet. On weekends in the summer it's been open to the public.

Valerie and I have been to it many times over the years, in good weather and in storms. It sits on a high cliff overlooking the sea. We are so mad we could chew nails. A $1000 reward has been posted, and I hope someone rats out the miscreants.

For some nice views of it, do a google image search for "Cape Meares lighthouse".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Photos of the damage here. Doesn't show the shattered Fresnel lenses, though.

Reward is up to $3000 now.

The Fresnel lenses were made in France in 1888, survived the trip around Cape Horn and the lighthouse went online in 1890. It survived the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 (Typhoon Freda) which was the most powerful cyclone to hit the US in the 20th century, from the standpoint of wind velocity. A nearby military radar dome had its concrete reinforced roof torn apart, of which 200 lb chunks took out trees.

And after all that, vandals shoot it up.

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Brian in Oregon

I sent the thread you made to my school buddy ok his is a river boat pilot running the mississippi and ohio and other rivers in the middle of america I thougth he might feel the pain also since he rely's on the light houses to navagaite by.
    Ok im sure now days everything is done with a G.P.S. but knowing my friend he probably depends on the land marks to guide him thru the waters.
    Keep me posted at least if no one else is intersted on the trap site then I am you can always send me a private message I bet my river boat friend would like to hear if the people was caught or not.

Foghorn220

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

As we have many lighthouses here in Michigan I share the frustration. When caught they should be made to pay all damages plus fines and stay in jail until hard arrangements are made for it to be paid plus more jail time and loss of gun ownership previledges for a period.

Don

5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Brian in Oregon,

I feel your pain about the terrible act of vandalism on a lighthouse. My wife and I live on the south Texas coast and made our honeymoon trip over to California 10 years ago and drove up the Pacific Coast Highway from north of LA up to SF to visit all of the lighthouses up thru Point Reyes. We also took a trip a few years ago up to Boston and drove up to Bar Harbor visiting lighthouses on the east coast as well. Made a trip out to Cape Cod before coming back home. We have always wanted to go back to the west coast and continue our trip farther north up thru northern CA on into Oregon and Washington and see the other lighthouses on that side of the country. I really hate to hear how some stupid people feel about historic sites or just have nothing better to do than destroy history. I hope they catch the person responsible and they are made to pay tenfold for their transgressions.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria Skeet and Trap Club

Victoria, Texas

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Things can be replaced but they will not be the same. History is lost here. When they do catch them take them to the top of the light house, tie a small piece of rope to their privates and the other end of the rope to a 5 LB brick. Drop the brick from where they are standing. Damn Brats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.