1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Vandalia--Why did the ATA leave?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Seen this on another thread and wondered if anyone really knows why the ATA left Vandalia.
    "Ohio threw our asses out and Illinois built us a new home. The Sparta locals are estatic about us being there and go way out of their way to accomodate trapshooting."
    I don't recall ever reading why the departure. Was the ATA asked to leave. Pardon my ignorance on this subject. Not trying to start anything, I just don't know why. Bulge.

2. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I guess I just crawled out of the same cave; I don't know either. Why?

Ray

3. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

I don't know the details, but as I remember it the airport wanted the land for expansion! This may or may not have been the reason. I've never been to the Grand, don't expect I will ever go so I didn't pay much attention to the 'ins and outs' of the deal!

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was a rumor going around that some of the EC got sick and tired of watching all them planes and looking at the same thing every single day, day after day and all night long ... They got bored and wanted to see different parts of the country and what it was made of, so they put up a map and everyone got a dart to throw at the map ... The majority of the darts hit Sparta smack dab in the middle so they figured it was a message from a Higher power with even more power than they had and they set out to make some deals with the State of Illinois even though they knew it was not a gun friendly State and that Sparta was not overly populated but much more rural rather than city like ... This did not sway them that most of the Membership that said anything was against this move especially to this desolate area of the country because that Higher Power, even more powerful than they themself must of knew something that they didn't know or why would most of the darts hit right there on that map ... I'm not sure how accurate this is because like I said it was a rumor at the time ... This has never been verified because we all know that the EC don't believe that there is any Higher Power than them so someone please explain those darts ... Hey, at least its an explaination which is better than what we had before ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well for those of you that crawled out of a cave. Try the link above page #7 Item #6 and read it might give you some answers. The explination has always been there it is that some are just to baised to look it up.

Bob Lawless

6. Don S

Don S Member

The airport canceled the lease.

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The mayor of Dayton needed the land for a new rental car parking deck for the "INTERNATIONAL" airport. (back room late night deal) So The airport cancelled the lease on the 30 traps that were on the east end of the Grand site. This decision was backed by a few folks on the planning commission there in Dayton as well.

At this point in time I'm sure the restaurants, motels, hotels and local folks affected by the loss of $14 MILLION dollars in to the local economy in 2 weeks every year are real happy with their elected idiots.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob Lawless. Reading the "Unfinished Business" portion of the minutes made any further discussion of this subject unnecessary.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

On another thread someone stated that the ATA gave the property to the airport but in the info Bob Lawless supplies it looks like the ATA may have received 2.9 million for the property. It also appears the ATA was getting nudged out by the airport. Mine eyes have been opened(i think). Thanks Bob for that info. Bulge.

Mr. Bradford stated that any doubts, or disbelief, of the necessity for relocation are wholly misplaced. Airport Improvement Projects presently underway at Dayton Airport will continue. The Airport Improvement Projects will eventually displace ATA from the property that it owns, and the property leased from the City of Dayton and the Dayton Airport will no longer be available for use by ATA. Although it appears that Dayton Airport needs are
    diminishing in the short term, and as examples Mr. Bradford noted Emory Freight being grounded and Midway Airlines filing Chapter 11, the long term Airport Improvement Project is continuing. One of the first items in the Airport Improvement Project will be construction of a five (5) story parking garage for Airport use which will displace the area presently used for
    rental cars at the Airport, which will require moving the rental car location toward the west end of the ATA shooting line. The immediate result will be to displace four (4) or five (5)complete banks on the west end of ATA’s shooting line. There is no question but that ATA must relocate its facilities. Mr. Bradford clearly informed the Directors that he, and the Executive Committee, have been informed by Mr. Blair Conrad, Director of Dayton Airport Operations,
    that scheduling of Airport Improvement Projects is such that no more than two (2) more Grand Americans can be held at ATA’s present location. There is no indication, from any source, that more than two (2) Grand Americans will be possible to be held as this location. Mr. Conrad has assured the Executive Committee and Mr. Bradford that the City of Dayton and Dayton Airport
    are preparing an offer to purchase the approximately fifty-eight (58) acres at this location which are owned by ATA. At the present time, the Executive Committee and Mr. Bradford have been led to believe that the lead remediation issue will be treated minimally, the offer to purchase will be at a price of $2.9 million ($2,900,000.00), and a lease of the purchased property will be offered to allow ATA time to transition from its current site. Mr. Bradford
    emphasized that no offer has been received at the time this report is given, and nothing in writing has been received by ATA to confirm the anticipated offer to purchase, minimal treatment of lead remediation issue, or the anticipated lease to allow ATA to vacate the present site in a planned and orderly fashion. Past President Bradford reported that there are three (3) sites under consideration at this time, and it is anticipated that no additional sites will be considered. Mr. Bradford strongly emphasized that the time has come to make a decision regarding relocation, and the time has
    come to have faith in ATA’s elected officers and allow them to proceed in the best long term interest of ATA and our sport. Mr. Bradford reviewed the three (3) sites under consideration and reference was specifically made to the written proposal submitted in support of each site. The three (3) sites under consideration are located near Amarillo, Texas, near Sparta, Illinois,
    and near Shelbyville, Indiana. A copy of the written proposal for each of the three (3) sites will be attached to these Minutes as follows: Amarillo, Texas will be designated as Attachment A; Sparta, Illinois will be designated as Attachment B; and, Shelbyville, Indiana will be designated as Attachment C.
    ATA’s objective, and the objective the Relocation Committee’s site search, is for property upon which to develop a multi-use facility for trap, skeet, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, year round camping, and similar activities. It is anticipated that the facility could host motor home shows, car shows, motorcycle shows, market the shooting sports to corporations and their
    employees, and that the facility would be used on a year round basis for these and other----
    No we all know what we are told why it happened.

10. alf174

alf174 Member

Forget that printed stuff, it was a conspiracy by a set of connected rich trapshooters that bought some cheap land adjacent to Sparta that wanted to get even richer. :^D

Anyone remember the play by Amarillo Texas to get the Grand to move there? That had this board buzzing.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

No Alf tell us about Texas.

12. alf174

alf174 Member

I'd have to look back in the archives to get the specifics but there was a group from Amarillo that was offering incentives for the Grand to move there. IIRC, some of the tough issues were that it was some distance away from the demographic center of the trapshooting population; being in TX the perceived temps would be very high forcing the event into later in the year but that would create problems for SCTP; and then of course the obvious monies involved. Its been some time now, but it created a lot of discussion here. No unlike the move discussion involving Sparta when Vandalia was still the center of the world.

13. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

It was a conspiracy of the left wing Clinton Administration, Mayor Daley, Blago and Rosie O'Donnell to get trapshooters to go to Illinois so that the Illinois State Police could confiscate all the trapguns at the border, thereby paving the way for Russian paratroopers to invade Sparta, Illinois.

The whole thing was called off when KGB spies, cleverly disguised with John Deere caps, bib overalls and those fake Bubba teeth, stayed at the Sparta Budget Inn while doing recon. After one night they promptly surrendered to local authorities.

In exchange for revealing the commie plot, the now former KGB spies were offered a choice of political asylum in southern Illinois or ten years in Guantanamo. Most went to Guantanamo for the dental care. Plus, I haven't heard anyone speaking Russian at the Grand.

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Zara, thanks for the laugh. Loved that one. Bulge.

15. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Lack of insight by the ATA.

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Definitely a pure case of the "6 P Principle" by the EC of year's past.

Curt

17. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

The "Amarillo play" that Alf speaks of is in the "printed stuff" that he tells us to forget, which is in the official ATA minutes link that Ivanhoe helpfully posted.

When you read it, it's pretty clear how and why the Grand is in Sparta - and why the overwhelming majority of delegates seemed to believe that it was the best option available at the time. Which it was. And still is.

Sparta is the finest shotgun facility in the world. Illinois provided us with a great big, spanking new place to play, and the whiners have been whining ever since.

Having shot repeatedly at Sparta and Vandalia, I'm still trying to figure out what there was at Vandalia that I ought to be missing. Haven't been able to come up with it yet. And I've never gone without a hotel room or a meal around Sparta yet, either - although that one night at the Sparta Motel is something I'd never want to repeat.

18. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

Are you sure you're not a commie spy?

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

And the only thing that has been done in Vandalia is the destruction of all our stuff. We could still be there!

20. alf174

alf174 Member

Singleshot has no sense of humor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vandalia trap shooting the grand

when did the grand nationals trap shoot move to illinois

where did the vandalia trap shoot move to

why did ata move from vandalia